1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The first 2008 Election Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2008.

?

Who gets your vote at this point and why?

1. McCain-TBA

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Obama-TBA

74 vote(s)
    82.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've got Obama as well. More and more as this year has gone on, be it the housing crunch, health care, war, and torture (done by the CIA in this instance), McCain has gone on to take the exact same stance as Bush. There's no reason to think this won't be just a third Bush term of sorts, which stinks considering the McCain who was around in 2000 was the one who I was going to vote for over Bush, Bradley, and Gore. His pandering is so transparent to me.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

McCain as a soft commit, to put it in recruiting terms. If Romney or Guliani had made it this far, I'd definetely be crossing over to Obama. As is, I'm still intrigued enough to pay attention and not make up my mind for certain until fall.

Oh, and if undecided is a good enough category for Gallop, surely we can have that option here.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

My thoughts exactly. I really have no idea if he's ready for the gig, but he gets my vote under the: it-can't-be-any-worse-than-this, we-need-a-change philosophy.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I voted for Obama in the primary and nothing has changed my mind.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Obama. I'm confident Obama will get us out of Iraq. McCain will keep us in Iraq for years (maybe not 100, but long enough).

I want Obama in the Oval Office when Supreme Court justices start dying off. McCain will nominate right-wing judges who will allow further erosion of our civil rights.

I want someone appointing officials who will not find reasons to torture people.

I'd like a health care plan that will mean that no one goes without needed medical care. Obama will work on this. McCain will just give the insurance and drug industries another big wet kiss like the one they've been getting from the Bushies for seven years now.

I also think it's time to stop this mad deregulation of everything that's taken place under Bush. Everything now is tilted toward big business, leaving the consumer with a big pole up his ass.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Obama.

I've been on the bandwagon for a while now.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm going to close my eyes and vote for McCain, but if I ink in the wrong circle, then, oh well. A good VP choice might make me open one eye just to make sure I hit the desired circle.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Obama. He spoke against Iraq from the start, wants to focus on the economy and jobs at home, seems to favor practical solutions to current problems and keeps a level head despite all that's been thrown his way in this primary campaign. On top of that, I want to see integrity restored to the White House.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Obama. I voted for him in the 2004 senate race, and I see no reason to stop now. I voted for a Republican in the general once. I won't be doing that again.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

No rational arguments can be made to keep a Republican in the Oval Office. None.

Obama.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Obama. Throw the bums out.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

See, I think people are going to say this regardless of the job Obama does. Despite what we want to believe sometimes, the President doesn't wave some giant wand and change the direction of the country. And despite what Obama says, I don't see how he can just yank 150,000 troops out of Iraq on Jan 30th. The country is going to get worse before it gets better, and instead of looking at it with any kind of honesty, people wills say "I still don't have what I want. This new guy sucks." Obama's biggest challenge is going to be convincing people that it really is going to be necessary to sacrifice a bit unless you want your grandchildren speaking Chinese. Americans want ALL OF IT, and we WANT IT NOW, and that's impossible. Our consumer culture is going to bite us in the ass as some point, whether there is a Republican or Democrat in charge. Obama will have his first-term stumbles, no question. But no way is one man going to be responsible for a statement like "Gosh, what were we thinking?" How could we possibly say something like that after the last seven years? At this point, a juggling circus bear would be an improvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.