1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The first 2008 Election Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2008.

?

Who gets your vote at this point and why?

1. McCain-TBA

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Obama-TBA

74 vote(s)
    82.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Simple stuff. Yeah, I hate political threads and will do something to consolidate them over the summer.
    But, it IS a presidential election and it seems the field is set.
    We're going to keep this simple. Vote. Then explain as simply as possible why and note whether a VP choice could change your mind. Keep it short, keep it on topic, DO NOT respond to others here.

I'm first.

Obama. I must admit I don't enough all that much about him but I have no faith in the Republicans after the past eight years and McCain's age is just one of the things that worries me about him. I'm willing to give a relative rookie a chance.
    The VP choices will not make a difference for me, though I'd love to see Obama pick Tim Kaine or Jim Webb.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I say Obama for the simple fact that I fear McCain would represent four more years of what we've already seen since 2000. And, the guy's age really worries me.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I think Webb would be an outstanding choice for Obama as VP.

I believe that McCain's beliefs extend to his wanting to be president, and everything else is for sale. No to any of that.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The two choices make me want to stick needles in my eyes. Can you offer any other choices, Moddy?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For now McCain but could easily be swayed come November by Obama.

As Charles Pierce wrote "convince me "

I am still haunted by Jimmy Carter as the fresh idea guy.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Obama

Eight years of Republicans is enough.

I like that McCain seems to be apart from Bush's circle, but for our economy to turn around, the starting point could be faith and trust in your leader. I trust Obama a little. McCain, not so much.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Obama. Things need to change in this country, and in my opinion, things won't change under McCain. If you like the direction this country is heading, McCain is your man.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No other choice has a real chance of winning. Our next president will be McCain or Obama. If you do not plan to vote for either of them, please pass on the poll.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't vote in the poll. I will probably make like last two elections and vote for Mr. Whacky Third Party Candidate and feel like crap afterward. I wish there were viable alternatives, though. I don't see it the way Boom did. Carter was an outsider. Obama is an insider. There are no fresh ideas. Everything these guys say is nuanced. We get tailored messages designed to appeal to emotion more than reason. If they have any beliefs -- and I think both these men actually do have core beliefs that define them, which at least is a step up from a lot of candidates we have seen in my lifetime -- they are not what you are hearing in those stump speeches. I just had to find it, but I remember the Atlantic article about Obama from two years ago.

There was this sentence:

That was in the midst of a laundry list of things he had advocated and stood up for. Then came this paragraph:

These guys are products, with marketing campaigns built around them, not leaders, in the true sense of the word. Maybe the Mr. Smiths going to Washington never existed. But we will never see them when we get two choices every time, from two corrupt machines that are all rhetoric (that changes from week to week) without the guts to stand behind a defining philosophy.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Obama, regardless of VP candidates. I did not vote for Obama in the primary, but I easily could have. I think he would (will?) be a capable president. Last Republican I voted for was Bob Dole, but that was because I had been brainwashed by a GOP American government teacher in high school (he had all but about two or three people in our class convinced we were right-wingers; he really should be banned from teaching impressionable high school kids American government).

I've since come to my senses.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I vote Obama. The Republicans can go crap in a hat.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There's a tshirt waiting to be made. Or maybe a hat.

I have this deep dread that 18 months into the Obama presidency, we'll all be saying 'oh, god, what were we thinking'...but he'll get my vote if he's the man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.