1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Finer Points of Street Grammar

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Deeper_Background, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Just to give our readers a look at how fastidiously accurate we are at the MRC, we've been having a bit of an in-house debate about the proper spelling for the nominative plural for "ho," as in the street slang for whore. Yes, news is stranger than fiction, and we only have Don Imus's "nappy-headed hos (?)" remark to blame for this journalistic quandary.

My colleague Matt Balan and I have combed the Web to see how different news orgs handle it and he's found no consensus:

UPI uses "ho's": "Imus last week described Rutgers University's women's basketball team as 'nappy-headed ho's.' Imus also apologized for the comment during his talk show."
    Associated Press uses "hos": "Radio host Don Imus, suspended for two weeks for calling the Rutgers female basketball players 'nappy-headed hos,' called the punishment appropriate Tuesday but stressed, 'I am not a racist.'
    LA Times uses "hoes": "Radio provocateur Don Imus apologized Friday for referring to the Rutgers women's basketball team as 'some nappy-headed hoes' on a broadcast of his syndicated radio show 'Imus in the Morning,' which also airs live on MSNBC."
    Gregory Moore at BlackAthlete.net also uses "hoes."
    We at NewsBusters typically follow Associated Press Style and since the AP wire is going with "hos," that probably will be the default for any future posts, for what that's worth.

Ken Shepherd http://newsbusters.org/node/11941

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I always thought it was "hoes" too, but I defer to AP on this.

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I think it would be ho's because it's short for whores, I believe. I guess it technically could be 'ho's, but that looks awfully weird with the apostrophe in front.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If we must delve into this at all, "Hoes" is too easily confused with a garden implement. "Ho's" is singular possessive. "Hos" would be the correct reference, I would think, as the plural for "ho."

BTW, Santa is mortified by all this.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Hoes: Garden implements.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Why the apostrophe. Nappy-headed hos needs no apostrophe.

7. [​IMG]

The Media Research Center breaks for lunch.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I now, when I log on, immediately go to Fenian's profile and do 'see most recent posts' just to see the pictures he's posted.

9. This time it's a bright red X.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not on mine, Mike. Mine makes me laugh.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wait, what's the style for Ho-Hos? That's your precedent.

Draft saved Draft deleted