1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The financial apocalpyse is upon us

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

We owe China about a trillion in paper. When the full implications of that are realized, or when the bill comes due (whichever comes first), there will be a real panic.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Only if and when China has incentive to cause a panic. For the near future, I'm not too worried.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Maybe someday they want to be a dick about it. It's not like it would be out of character.

Vanity Fair had the story a few years ago about them buying up our treasury notes, like the high-priced loan shark in the wifebeater. If that won't send a chill up your spine, then you're impervious to the potential bigtime severity of this.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, what exactly am I supposed to be scared of? China is a dick and calls in our debt.

I guess theoretically it could escalate to war, but that's really in neither side's best interests and I doubt it happens.

Realistically, it would just mean a major hit to the American economy, forcing the government and we the people to take a hit to our standard of living that's been a long time coming.

I understand the issue, but I'm just not all that unnerved.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Chinese are concerned about one thing: growing their economy in double digits year over year. And that is in jeopardy. Their growth has come largely on the back of the U.S. consumer. The fact that they have devoured our debt helped propped us up for a good year or two. When they prattle on about abandoning the dollar and trying to develop an alternative global currency, we should be concerned. But we also have to keep in mind that they can't just abandon us, because they have so much invested in us already and more importantly, we're the best golden goose they have for the future growth their government needs to keep everyone as happy as they have been. China needs the U.S. to be strong as much, or more, than WE need the U.S. to be strong.

Americans have gotten cheap goods from China, which has single-handedly kept inflation in check here. The Chinese have gotten some serious economic growth from their goods that we devour--they can't make stuff fast enough or cheap enough. Their government needs a place to invest all the money they have made and they bought a lot of our debt because U.S. treasuries are safe. That was looking bad because the dollar was weak and they were getting pissed. But right now? The dollar is strengthening because of how frightful things are looking in Europe. And for the moment, our treasuries look like gold ingots compared to the sovereign debt of the other supposedly stable places to invest in the world. This will make our politicians happy, because we need someone to buy our debt to keep the house of cards from falling. And the Chinese are gonna buy it and like it. It's symbiotic.

The dollar is strengthening because the rest of the world is starting to go to pot. What is happening right now is a curse AND a gift for the U.S. The question is how our banking overlords will use the opportunity--the gift part.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If you're a U.S. poultry producer, someday is now.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Big, I defer to your knowledge. This isn't a typical parasite-host kind of relationship. Whatever it is, though, is getting harder to define and more disconcerting the more this goes on.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Who rigs every Oscar night? WE DO! WE DO!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

In the 70s, "the Arabs" were buying the U.S.

In the 80s, the Japanese were buying the U.S.

Both scenarios were supposed to be the harbinger of doom. Were they buying treasuries? I don't remember, not something I paid attention to at the time.

But the entire China thing reminds me of these previous scenarios, for good or bad.

Maybe in the next 10 years or so the Soviets can get in on it. (I mean Russians. Old habits and all.)

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Damn, that's funny. Especially how he turns around and looks at the camera at the end.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows. The Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee BEADY eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken!" Ohhhhh!

12. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

I don't know which is sadder:
    1) A dude who obviously knows his monitor could be on camera at any time brazenly looking at such images
    2) That anyone could tell from the vague images captured on the video that they are of Miranda Kerr.

Draft saved Draft deleted