1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Final Four Standing...A San Antonio Excursion (April 6)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Does anyone know how far Sea World is from downtown? The only hotel that has rooms left downtown is charging $300 and I'm not paying that much.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I heard there's some room left at the palatial Rumpleforeskin estate.

I'm sure he'd only charge you a pittance, as well.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think I can be of some assistance, here. *Pops knuckles*

The River Walk sux. But if you're going to be there, there's a martini and cigar bar called Swig. It's OK, but fairly pricey. There's the standard, touristy shit there, like Coyote Ugly and Howl at the Moon. Both are always crowded and it takes forever to get a beer. Not my scene. Dirty Nelly's on the River Walk is OK, but not great. Better than the other two.

If you want to get off The Trap, as I call it, there's a decent pub called Mad Dog's British Pub. It's on Losoya St., fairly close to the River Walk.

But my favorites are a little farther off the beaten path, all on the west side of Ft. Sam Houston.

My absolute favorite is Sam's Burger Joint, right off Broadway on Grayson. Here's the link: http://www.samsburgerjoint.com/. They have live music of some sort every night. Thursday night is blues night. The house band plays for a while, then it's local jam. You'll see it when you get close. The sign's a huge, neon musical note.

One block over is the best chicken fried steak I've ever had, the Josephine St. Cafe. Small place frequented by the doctor and lawyer crowd. There's a tree in the middle. Good for beer, dinner and an after-dinner beer. But not to hang out with a large crowd. Too small. Serious good food, and it's cheap.

Next door is a place called the Liberty Bar. It leans a significant amount to one side, but appears structurally safe. It didn't fall when my fat ass walked in. Same sort of crowd. Quiet. Good food. Has a bar.

Broadway 5050 is a pretty cool place. Memphis style food. Pulled-pork barbecue with slaw. The only place in Texas that didn't look at me like a fucking idiot when I asked for slaw on my 'cue. Good beer on tap and live music on the weekends. Eclectic crowd.

The Lion and Rose is at 5148 Broadway. Good Irish-style joint that's right beside a wonderful little mom-and-pop Italian place. Big enough to accommodate a large crowd. Not too crowded.

And Sea World is a pretty good drive from downtown.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks for the recommendations t_b_f. Is the airport closer than Sea World to downtown? I'm going to cab it and don't mind paying a hefty cab fare, but I'd like to get as close as possible.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Not sure if this will encourage you, but do you think I would go anywhere if drinking wasn't involved?

6. three_bags_full

Sea World is almost to the 1604 Loop on the west side of town, while the airport is just past 410, so I guess the airport is a little closer. That's still going to be one helluva cab fare from the airport. $40 or $50, I'd imagine, down 281.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, that's what I figured. But since the hotel will cost me about $200 less, I figure I can justify a monster cab fare.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, the significant other and I talked and we decided to pony up for the room downtown. For $250 a night before tax it better have something better to offer than just free bottled water.

9. three_bags_full

Yeah, by the time you make the trip downtown a couple of times and out to eat a couple of times and to the bars a time or two, you could just as easily stay downtown.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'll be at the NCAA 3-Point and Slam Dunk Contest tonight. If anyone's in the area and wants to grab a drink tonight, drop me a PM and I'll get you my number.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

$250 a night for a downtown hotel during the Final Four doesn't sound like that bad of a deal. Unless it's a really crappy hotel, of course.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If anybody stays at the new Grand Hyatt next to the convention center let us know what you think of it. I hear it's supposed to be really, really nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted