1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Final (for now) 2012 Presidential Election Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 30, 2012.

?

Which ticket will get your vote?

1. Obama-Biden

68 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. Romney-Ryan

17 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. Other/write-in

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Not Voting

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The 2002 Olympics were "saved" by an avalanche of Federal spending. You know, the same Federal spending MR and teabaggers like Ryan rail at, unless it benefits their congressional districts or states. I'm happy to help my state stay solid blue.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1024516/index.htm

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Voting for Obama. Yes -- for all the haters out there -- I'm voting and for a black guy, no less (gasp!).

Although I know the sun will come up if Romney wins. He ain't no George W. Bush.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I voted Obama because I think the second term of a two-term president can always be the most productive.

I think, deep down, Romney has the parts to be a great president, and even the right president for right now. But he'll need to get re-elected in 2016, so we won't see the calm, calculating, efficient moderate. We'll see a man ensuring he still has conservative support in four years wasting his time on crap like Don't Ask/Don't Tell, Gay Marriage and making big productions about eliminating meaningless budget items like PBS.

Obama has presided in many ways as a moderate, and (hopefully) without having the goal of "Don't let him get reelected" to unite behind, Congress will work with him.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Write-in. Incumbent is a despicable, miserable disgrace as a politician, and the challenger is a Mormon.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I do that every election (except last one, when I didn't want the first black president elected without my vote -- I thought it was historically significant).

I look for the whackiest third party candidate listed and vote for him. Obama has NY locked up. Even if I thought there was much difference between him and Romney, a trip to the voting booth in New York State is a waste of time.

If I could vote for the thing I thought was most significant, I'd vote to amend the Constitution to get rid of the electoral system at this point and go with a popular vote for national elections.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I will vote for Gary Johnson and the main reason is because the current President has been a disaster and the guy the other side has presented is one of the weakest and worst candidates we've ever seen.

The current president promised health care reform - and instead of fighting for a bill that is what he talked about and what he wanted, he settled with some watered down, rammed through weak piece of garbage that is not even close to what he promised and will cost many people thousands in higher premiums. But he passed it so he can run around saying he passed something, not because it is good legislation or good for this country.

And that is bad government 101 - and it is why we get the same garbage year after year when we send the same people back year after year because that's how Washington operates.

Obama also has no new ideas, his economic plan is not much deeper than "spend and hand out and make the rich pay for it" and he understands more than any President we've ever had the principle of "If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Paul's vote...."

And don't even get me started on what a Romney presidency would look like.

Now is the time - much like 1992 - where the country would be ready to embrace a third-party candidate, except there is no H. Ross Perot and absent of a guy like that, who actually has a chance to win, I will vote for Gary Johnson.

7. I will be voting third party in the presidential election, and it was a slam-dunk for me. If I were in a state where third-party votes would be "throwing my vote away," I would probably dig even deeper into the two tickets and try to pick the better one. Since I live in a place where it's a foregone conclusion, I will vote my way for sure, with some variety the rest of the way.

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Last two elections I voted third party. I don't even know I can say there's a third party I like this year. I'd vote for Romney if he had defined his plans (primarily in the job and economic sectors. Most social issues aren't a big deal to me, and most presidents have little control over them, except the Clinton and Obama health care changes).
    While I consider myself more conservative on most issues, I don't think Obama has been as terrible a president as many of my conservative colleagues make him out to be. But despite is HOPE, CHANGE and now FORWARD slogans, I didn't see enough change in his four years to make me believe four years moving forward with him would be anything more than just hope.
    So it's very likely I am not voting. On Tuesday morning if I drive by the polling place, I may change my mind. But I doubt it.

Seriously, I wish the Tea Party would be strong enough to be a completely different party. And the Occupy movement, same thing. I too don't like the two party system, and while I may not be supportive of the Tea Party or Occupy movements, I think a viable third or fourth (and separate) party would be the biggest thing to change the system.

9. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I will vote for Mr. Obama for the third time in my life. Even if I thought changing the Executive party is necessary to jump-start the economy (and I do not), I cannot put short-term economic interests over the long-term social interests of my siblings, neighbors, friends and co-workers. I voted for Republican candidates in the past, but until the party distances itself from religious extremists, I have to vote Democrat for national offices.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

Obama. Compare how the Obama Administration has handled Hurricane Sandy with the George W. Bush administration handled Hurricane Katrina.

11. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm voting Obama for a number of reasons both pragmatic and issue-related, but I'm a little surprised Gary Johnson hasn't gotten more traction. Whenever he (seemingly randomly or by accident) gets any sort of exposure, he comes off as more on-the-ball than Perot or Nader ever did to me, particularly given many of the things people claim they want right now. And I say this as someone who voted for Nader in 2000 (yes, all this was my fault).

I would like third party candidates to be viable, at least to the point where they can realistically get matching funds and be part of the conversation. I am a little surprised the newest incarnation of the "libertarian" movement hasn't gone in this direction on a grass-roots level (and by 'surprised,' I mean 'frustrated and sad, but not really surprised').

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Romney. I've been self-reliant since I was 18, which swung me fairly far to the right. I've also lived a life marked by striving for discipline and making smart decisions. I feel Romney offers the best chance for people who are ambitious, disciplined and driven to reach their "endgame" before we leave this mudball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.