1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The final days of McDonald's?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, and rooting for McDonald's is like rooting for the Yankees.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

McDonald's same store sales are substantially higher than Burger King of Wendy's. Neither Burger King or Wendy's have the comprehensive global presence of McDonalds. I have been to 42 countries and in only one I not seen a McDonald's. While some of those markets will have Burger Kings and a few countries have Wendy's McDonald's is everywhere.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

10 days in to All-Day Breakfast and the franchisees have already decided it's a disaster?

Sounds like small business owners getting complaints from employees, who were probably trained like crap in the first place.

I'll eat the oatmeal and the egg white delight. I may eat at McD's twice a month. The service stinks.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Love McD's, especially their pancakes. The service is quick, the stores are clean and the drinks are superb.

Chipotle has gone to shit in some of the locations I used to frequent. Chintzy portions, snotty service, just not worth it. It's trendy, though, so there's always that...

If I'm on the road and need to stop, McD's is it most of the time.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Late Gen Xers are driven by the foodie culture just as much, if not more. Only with them, it's a conscious ego thing. Millennials are just responding to advertising like the lemmings they've shown themselves to be.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

There are worse things to be lemmings about, I suppose. Point taken, however.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Bloomberg Businessweek wrote a feature on McDonald's a few weeks ago. I thought it was interesting how little revenue franchisees accounted for (still many billions of dollars) given the number of stores they ran. Also, say what you will about the rest of their food, but it's tough to beat the fries there.

The Frustrating Life of a McDonald’s Franchisee

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Like the taste of their burgers but the employees are so indifferent in recent years I stopped going.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I decided to get a McMuffin for dinner a few days after they began all-day service. The line was easily three times slower than usual at the drive-thru. (The McMuffin sucked, too, but that wasn't a shock.)

I think McDonalds is chasing the wrong fix by going after fancy sirloin burgers and grilled club sandwiches. No one is going to McDonalds for that sort of thing. They should pare down the menu (much like In n Out) and stick to their core menu items, but try to make them edible. The Quarter Pounder always comes on a bun that tastes and feels like it was baked two months ago. A hamburger bun should not crack when you bite into it.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, if we paid them 15 bucks an hour ... Seriously, though, they all vary from place to place. The Wendy's near the office I refuse to go to because the service is always awful. I once walked out of there after standing at the counter for a few minutes while all the workers shit-chatted in the back. Next time I went, it wasn't any better. Buh-bye.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Have you tried the Halloween Whopper? <crossthread> #greenpoo

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, and just so everyone knows, McDonald's biscuits are horrible!

Draft saved Draft deleted