1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The final days of McDonald's?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'm not a Millenial, but pretty close. My kids hate McDonald's. When we've had to go there in a pinch it's been tough to get them to eat anything there. As a result I actually can't remember the last time we went to one.

There are so many better options with better food at a close enough price that I don't know why anyone would go. But to automatically assume families will keep it going isn't necessarily true. I don't think my family is alone in its lack of desire for the place.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If people think that Micky D's is going to close, then every other fastfood place in America is going down as well.

If you placed the nightly cash drop from McDonalds compared to Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Hardee's, Arby's... McDonald's has to slaughter them. The amount of people they move through the drive through alone is mind numbing. They are so freeking fast, most of the ones in my area has two lines to take orders and one to pay and get the food. And you never seem to wait even though there are lines (unless some dipshit wants something special made and refuses to pull forward or cannot get their order straight in the car.)

Here is everything McDonald's does better than the other guys...

Their happy meal rocks for kids
    They are fast
    They are clean
    You don't wait very long for food (a huge plus when you have kids)
    Their food is easy to eat in the car
    Their fries and Big Mac are the shit
    They are not that expensive

Chick-fil-A is the only fast food place I would think that has sales anywhere close to McDonald's, but they are closed one day a week and they are not as fast so they might not be able to turn customers over as quickly.

3. 93Devil

Kalinowski interviewed 29 US franchisees covering about 226 restaurants for the survey. McDonald's has more than 14,000 restaurants in the US. We reached out to McDonald's for comment and will update if we hear back.

This seems to be a PR release/hitjob someone ran with.

This 1.6% of all the franchises out there in America. I'm sure some franchises are pissed they were made to serve breakfast all day - probably about 1.6%.

Odd, they mention nothing of food sales compared to other fast food places. How does that get over looked? Or if their sales are dropping.

This is shit and would have never made it past a decent editor pre-internet.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And yet their sales keep dropping every quarter.

5. 93Devil

Show your work.

And show the sales of Wendy's, Burger King, and Jack in the Box, please.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What makes you think I'm bullish on the future of Wendy's, Burger King, and Jack in the Box?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Impact as a verb

SMH.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You were pretty much right, Dick. McD's revenues have been dropping for at least the last 2 years. As have its earnings. From memory, it has been almost a straight quarter over prior year's quarter thing. It's a lazy "show your work" post. Anyone who really cared enough to ask you to do it. ... could have just gone to the SEC's Edgar database and thumbed through the 10Ks themselves if they cared.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

What I have never understood is how bad Burger King is. In my market it is easier to list the decent franchises (two, maybe three) than the bad ones. Wretched service, bad manners, so-so cleanliness. At the one nearest my house, within the last six months I have been told that they were out of fries (!) and out of Coke on separate visits. I actually like their menu, as fast food goes, but I virtually never go there.

In particular the attitude and demeanor of their employees is a huge turn off. Go to Chick-Fil-A and not only do I get good food, fast and accurate orders, but "It was my pleasure, sir!" Sure, that's corporate dictating it, the same as the drop what you are doing and help you at Publix is... but it works. People respond to being well treated, and can not help making the contrast when they go somewhere else and get "Whaddaya want?".

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I know it's just a throw away line, but there's no waiting for Millennials to have kids. They're primarily the ones having kids now, and have been for several years. In fact many of the oldest Millennials have kids in their early teens. McDonald's is still losing sales, significantly.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For whatever it's worth the Mickey D's nearest my house has improved service considerably in the past several months, from a D up to about B-B minus.

However a quarter mile or so down the road is one of the worst Wendy's I've ever seen. Dirty, sloppy, slow, special orders constantly fucked up -- a complete shitshow.

Draft saved Draft deleted