1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The field narrows: The Post Super Tuesday presidential poll and discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Mar 7, 2020.

?

Who would be your pick for president?

1. Joe Biden

58 vote(s)
    74.4%
  2. Bernie Sanders

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Donald Trump

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Bernie’s suspending his campaign.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, other than the choreographed pre-Super Tuesday dropouts (and Biden endorsements!) of Buttigieg and Klobuchar . . . .

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If it were truly rigged, I'm guessing Biden would have done better in Iowa, NH and Nevada. The large field actually made Bernie's candidacy more viable.

4. Regan MacNeil

Bernie’s now saying it’s false. Guess Axios really fucked that one up.

5. DanOregon

Bernie's suspending campaigning, (no primary for three weeks) not his campaign. Really bad screw-up. I do think having a sparring partner during the primary helps if only that Biden's public comments can't be "spun" as campaigning for a job while "Trump is hard at work doing the job and can't campaign." Having Sanders there as a proxy diffuses it.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Coronavirus gives the old farts time to rest and recharge the batteries. Lord knows Biden could use it.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And to clarify that, a safe agenda isn't the target. It is beating Trump and getting that moron out of the Oval Office. Priority One, well above anything else.

8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

True, it is especially tough on Sanders supporters this time, but not entirely because of the reasons you mentioned. A lot of Sanders supporters are frustrated that despite the majority of Democrats supporting universal healthcare, free college, student debt forgiveness, the Green New Deal and other parts of Sanders’ agenda, the DNC coalesced around and endorsed a much more conservative candidate. That’s a large part of why, as you say, the majority of voters rejected him. But they didn’t rejected his agenda.

IMO, the DNC should be able to push whichever candidate it wants. If Sanders doesn’t like it, he could have run a third-party campaign. Still, it’s extremely disappointing and evident that the majority of Democrats have been voting against an agenda they support because the DNC and more conservative Democrats endorsed another candidate.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  9. Regan MacNeil

You can like Bernie’s ideas without liking Bernie. Seems to be the case the last two primaries.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The state count is 19-7 in favor of Biden and three of Bernie's wins are in the bottom 11 in population. Obviously Cali is the biggest win but his next biggest state is Colorado at No. 21

11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Yeah, no argument here. I just personally prefer a guy who I think cares about the same issues that I do, and I think that’s common for most of his supporters.

12. DanOregon

I do think some Bernie supporters biggest attraction to his candidacy is that he isn't part of the mainstream - people who are disaffected and feel "left out" see him as one of their own. I also figure that someone who touted the same issues but cut down on the "anti-establishment" rhetoric would play better, particularly with the current "anti-establishment" guy in the WH.

Draft saved Draft deleted