1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The fans of teams on your fringe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Sep 16, 2008.

1. JB20

JB20 Member

You should do more with Notre Dame ... the high school. There's more than just the Greyhounds in Burlington. ;D

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Funny thing about Notre Dame, now that you mention it. ... quite a few fans here, because they had a QB from here (Jarius Jackson) once upon a time.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Your buddy in Alabama's a doofus... but you knew that.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

HA. :)

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Maybe do a little more SEC coverage for the bigger teams - bama, UT, Auburn... see where it goes. Big college fans will read it regardless of what team it is about.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can say that about anything. You can't just run AP in the print edition if you don't have room for it.

The point the OP was trying to make was that you can't please everyone.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

But, see, Meridian could justify it because they sell (or used to sell) a significant number of papers in Alabama.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

And you would be correct -- on both counts.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I worked in Jacksonville; multiply this question by a factor of 10.

You have the Gators, Seminoles and, to a lesser extent, the Hurricanes, obviously.

But there are huge presences of both Georgia and Georgia Tech alums living in the circulation area.

A surprisingly big contingent from Clemson -- and influential people to boot.

Plus Florida A&M and Bethune.

You had no chance -- zero -- of pleasing them all within the pages of the Times-Union.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Canes fans in Jax? Seriously?

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I was walking through the mall in your town once, HH, and saw something that struck me as odd. A kiosk sat in the middle of the concourse, covered on one side by State hats and tee-shirts, the other by Ole Miss gear. But the other two sides sported Bama and Tennessee gear.

Where I grew up, you'd never see that. It's all Bama and Auburn gear all the time. Won't see any Tennessee, Ole Miss, State or Georgia gear.

Point is, I guess, you have a few more Bammer fans in your coverage area than you think.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Here's a situation that I'm sure a lot of us deal with. What if you are the SE at a small-to-medium size daily, say 10-25K, in a town where a mid-major, small-major or even big-time 1-AA school is located. I'm thinking Ruston, Jonesboro, Hattiesburg, Statesboro, places like that where resources in terms of personnel and newshole are limited.

Obviously, the hometown team is your bread-and-butter, so how much coverage do you then give the BCS schools in your state, the LSUs, Alabamas and Georgias, especially if those big-conference schools are clear on the other end of the state

Draft saved Draft deleted