1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Fan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 12, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So, I've watched the movie about 2093407307 times but I had never read the book.

Picked it up yesterday at my library and have read about five chapters so far.

The one thing that jumped out at me was the setting. The movie is set in San Francisco, the book Boston. Anyone know why the locale and team was changed in the movie?
  2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same reason "Fever Pitch" was set in London as a book, and Boston as a movie: Because Hollywood is stupid.
  3. KYSportsWriter

Isn't it about time for them to remake the movie? :D
  4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The only good thing about that movie is that it was fatal blow to Jimmy Fallon's movie career.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That movie includes and entire story and plot that doesn't exist in the book.
    The book was interesting. I refuse to watch the movie.
  6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I might be asking for trouble, but I thought the movie was awful.
  7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Which one?
    The Fan? Yes, it was.
    Fever Pitch? Yes, it was.
  8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

The first Fever Pitch movie was set in London.

And yes, The Fan was terrible. At least the DeNiro-Snipes one. The one with Lauren Bacall was good, just really weird.
  9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

No trouble needed. You are absolutely correct. Horrible and profoundly unrealistic movie.
  10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I meant the Fan in my first post, but yes both sucked. It was the Deniro version I saw. It was on one day after work. I was on the elliptical and didn't feel like stepping off to change the channel. Then Deniro stabbed some guy and I gave up and turned on Designing Women.
  11. KYSportsWriter

They made a different version?
  12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

The Fan is a fun guilty pleasure. De Niro, Snipes, and a ridiculous, over-the-top sports plot? I'm in.
Draft saved Draft deleted