1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Family Guy, what a riot.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jan 20, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And now weatherman Ollie Williams with the Black-U-Weather forecast. Ollie ...
    IT'S GON RAIN!
    Thank you, Ollie.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

family guy does little for me. it goes for the easy joke or the complete non-sequitor. it's never been in teh same category as the simpsons, never as smart or biting. south park can be really, really great, but can be hit or miss. but that's one of the best parts about it -- they take the chances. it may not always work, but they can hit 'em as far as anyone.

and metalocalypse is brutal -- i'm still laughing at dr. rockso

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

oh, and add home movies to the list of animated series far, far better than family guy

4. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Exactly.

"Family Guy" grabbed my attention at first. Then as seasons went by, I realized there was a lot of "sameness" insofar as how the gags are applied. You have to admit it's put together in what seems like a slapdash fashion.

5. Yes.
    And it's not even close.

The spoofing of various cartoons/comics/movies/TV/books from the past is spot-on. Tremendously fleshed-out characters too numerous to list.
    "The Venture Brothers" is one of the best shows on television, period.

6. Frylock

Frylock Member

I rarely watch the Simpsons. I used to catch it every week, but now it just isn't that entertaining for me.
    I like Family Guy a lot.
    King of the Hill is one of my favorites, but it is somewhat different when compared to the rest of the Fox cartoons and the stuff on Adult Swim.
    Unlike Simpsons, South Park is fresh every season. Probably my favorite of the lot.
    Then there's ATHF ...

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I'd argue that the best episodes of Futurama was as good as or better than anything by The Simpsons, South Park or any of the other animated shows. The show was often funny, sometimes hilarious, and it could also be quite emotional. The Fry's dog episode has brought a few of us to tears.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My fiancee is in a wheelchair, and the first time we watched the Pawtucket Pat episode (with the Oompa Loompas singing to Joe, "What do you think of the one you call god? Isn't his absence slight...ly...odd? Maybe he's forgotten you...) I was cringing a little. She enjoyed it, though, so I was off the hook. Best FG song ever.

I love Family Guy, but in the discussion of the best animated shows of the last 15 years, it struggles to crack the top five. Simpsons, Futurama and South Park are all WAY ahead of it. All three are/were smarter. FG is funny, and smart at times, but goes for the grossout jokes more than the cerebral humor. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a different vein of humor that's not quite as deep as some of the other classics.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A couple of things:
    1. Was watching a tape of Family Guy from Adult Swim and there was a hilarious commercial put on by Adult Swim about how it wanted to thank THE Ohio State University for raising the standard higher than ever for being overrated. I laughed hysterically over that. Whoever writes those little bits they do should get a raise.

2. For Family Guy fans, Adult Swim is doing a marathon of the show this weekend either before or after the Super Bowl. I didn't catch exactly when, but there will be a marathon this weekend, so get your DVRs ready.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The end of last night's episode cracked me up.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree. I made my wife watch the ending - she hates the show - and even she laughed. Nothing better than Stewie dropping f-bombs and Brian asking if they just carjacked someone.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was great.

So was the sign: Denver 73 miles, Rhode Island 2,100 miles (or something like that).

And this sign: COLORADO: We're not just about Kobe Bryant and Columbine.

Draft saved Draft deleted