1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Family Guy, what a riot.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jan 20, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Sounds just like every one of the 12 or so pieces I've had today.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

On a side note, one of the things I like about Scott van Pelt are his Adult Swim references when he does highlights.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't, but then I'm not a big fan of someone trying to force popular culture into the flow of their comments. Seems like pandering to the Gen Y crowd. They should try to go after the emo crowd. There's got to be a few sports fans in that Simple Plan-listening, self-cutting group of Hot Topic goths. Grow the brand, Scotty.

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

It's nice to hear some love for the show written by Manatees.

Give me the good ol' Simpson family any day of the week.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Amen! I would take arguments on a few cartoons, but "Futurama" is only mildly funny. I'll still watch it while waiting for "Family Guy" or Aqua Teen, but it doesn't make me roll with laughter.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Peanut butter-jelly time, Peanut butter-jelly time...

Peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup, just you being a pretentious ass. You don't like it? Fine. Don't watch. Pardon the rest of us while we laugh.

8. statrat

statrat Member

How the hell did someone start a family guy thread and I not see it until it's three pages long!?!?! My .02: Its been nice to see FG hitting its stride again. The after it got "uncancelled" it hasn't been as consistently roll on the floor funny as it is before, and very nearly jumped the shark with their Tom Brady guest appearance last year, but some of their recent shows have been brilliant.

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I really think that with the way South Park remains timely and has so many veiled cultural references that in recent years it has been the best, especially with some of the stuff they managed to get away with.

The Simpsons has always been great, though the last two or three years they've just ran out of content. Family Guy is also good for a quick laugh, though I agree it hasn't been quite as good lately as it was the first year.

I also have a lot of respect for King of the Hill, but I think it truly is different than the others. It's animated, but it's usually more like a realistic sitcom - unless they decide to have Bobby doing something weird. It isn't looking for the quick laugh or satire as much.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

That's my purse! I don't know you!

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

From the hurricane hits Quahog episode:
    "What's it like out there, Ollie?"
    IT'S RAININ' SIDEWAYS!
    "Do you have an umbrella?
    HAD ONE!
    "Where is it?"
    INSIDE OUT, TWO MILES AWAY!
    "Is there anything we can do for you?"
    BRING ME SOME SOUP!
    "What kind?"
    CHUNKY!
    "All right, we'll get on that."
    Here's the best of Ollie:

Oh, and Blitz, get over yourself. Just because it's animated doesn't mean it can't be funny and smart.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The reason South Park can stay timely is because it can be produced very quickly. I saw a doc on the show, and Trey and Matt said a show can be produced in as little as two weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted