1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Family Guy, what a riot.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jan 20, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Just got through viewing The Family Guy series on DVD. With all respect to the Simpsons, this is the funniest cartoon I have seen. The one liners and the quips are great.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just got into it in the last six months and I agree it is hilarious. The random spoofs they do of other TV shows and current events is over the top.

3. boots

boots New Member

Seen them both, especially Beavis and Butt-Head in their MTV prime. They don't compare to the Family Guy but I will give them props. They set the table for the show.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Family Guy was a moderately funny, if highly derivative, cartoon in its first run that had a few high spots. In its revival, it's been wretched, depending on callbacks, inside baseball, flashbacks and one-shot jokes beaten into the ground.

And even at its best, the Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill, Beavis and Butt-head and South Park all beat it, some of them to a pulp.

5. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I like Family Guy, but prefer King of the Hill. The Simpsons was brilliant for far too long to put Family Guy in the same class. I'm not even a huge Simpsons fan, but appreciate what that show has done for so long to give proper due.

6. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I love the Ollie Williams character, the weather man. I think I got that name right. Anyhoo ...

Anchor: So Ollie, what are you doing to stay cool out there?
    Ollie (swinging over a lake on a tire swing): SWIMMIN' HOLE!!!

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Futurama should never, ever, be mentioned in the same breath as The Family Guy.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Family Guy has certain moments which are as funny as anything on TV, but it has the advantage of not really worrying about having a coherent plot. I'm a Huge King of the Hill fan and think that it is a great show which has been jerked around by Fox and never gotten the respect that it deserves. The Simpson is still very funny, but it hasn't been "must see" for me for about 6-7 years.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I enjoy Family Guy every week...

Even at it's best, it's not in South Park's class...

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I think you have to give Futurama time. I think it's important to know the characters in Futurama before you can truly appreciate it. So in that sense, it definitely falls behind.

I'm not sure how KOTH fits into the mix. I like the Hills very much, but I've always seen it as different from the others mentioned.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I think you have to give Futurama time. I think it's important to know the characters in Futurama before you can truly appreciate it. So in that sense, it definitely falls behind.

I'm not sure how KOTH fits into the mix. I like the Hills very much, but I've always seen it as different from the others mentioned.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I cannot recall watching "Family Guy" and laughing. Can't stand the show. I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

"King of the Hill" is the way to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted