1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Faces of Global Terror

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Noticed this poster for first time at airport that I flew out of . Prominently placed right as you entered the queue for security.:

I can't believe that the ACLU has not tried to shut it down.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Is there any reason why the ACLU would ask them to take it down? To me, it seems just like a wanted poster in your local post office or wherever else wanted posters are put these days.

3. Boom_70

If you look closely you will see that it is very skewed towards Middle Easterners.

A case could be made that it's profiling.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You have a point there, but since it appears names are specified under each photo, I don't see how there would be much of a case. It's not like the poster has pictures of 26 random people. These are people the U.S. wants under arrest and questioned for acts of terrorism.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There is?

Let's hear it.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think Boom is being facetious...

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You can only hope.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm not sure the poster features guys who are likely to be spotted by the average air traveler. I mean, really, is there much chance you're gonna run into Osama bin Laden at the Cleveland airport Chili's?

I can make out that the second guy on the top row is Al Masri, believed to be the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq. I'm guessing the others at the top are similar big names. That would be my only qualm, really, if they're putting up posters of guys who are nowhere near the U.S. and likely never will be. In so doing, are they reinforcing the stereotype of Muslims being terrorists? Maybe, maybe not.

I guess the question is this: Are these posters more likely to (a) help capture a terrorist or (b) lead to extra hassling and possible intimidation for some guy who happens to be Muslim, but just wants to catch a flight to Minneapolis or sell you a newspaper?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sorry. I suck at recognizing that.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You can never quite tell with Boom.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, considering that poster was issued in December of 2006, I think we know boob's motives.

12. Boom_70

Boom is not being facetious. The poster looks ridiculous and as Desk slave points out contains people that the average citizen will see. You also have to assume that they would be in disguise.

Draft saved Draft deleted