1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Express": The Ernie Davis story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Jul 22, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Simon, Hoosiers had more changes in it than a fashion show.

I still love it.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think the Milan coach hooked up with the acting principal during the season.

3. 93Devil

Plus the coach was a second-year coach, not from Ithaca, not from the Navy, yada, yada, yada.

But Chitwood/Plum was legit.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, except he never "held out" until midseason, he was not a social recluse, he was not a semi-orphan, etc etc.

Obviously, he never made any "coach goes, I go" ultimatum in a town meeting, since there was never any town meeting, and Marvin Wood was never in any danger of losing his job.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The difference with "Hoosiers" is ... it's a good enough/entertaining/feel-good movie to overcome its flaws and/or historical inaccuracies. "Eight Men Out" and "Glory Road," while their flaws both eat at me, fit that description, too. (With "Miracle," of course, too many people knew the story for them to fuck with any major plot points. That's the most well-made of all the sports re-creations, IMO. Kurt Russell was just brilliant.)

Some of these other films, like "The Rookie" or "Invincible" or -- from Simon's account -- "The Express" feel compelled to fuck with the story to make it more dramatic, but then it makes you feel deceived as a movie-goer because there's so much wrong with it. That turns me off about sports/historical movies more than anything else.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think Hoosiers is miles... miles ahead of any of those other films above.

The only grain of truth I needed was that a tiny school COULD play the largest school for the state title, and that it happened and the small school won.

All I needed.

Hackman is God, but Hopper, incredibly, was even better.

To me, he was as believable as Shaw as Quint.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

See, the love story got in the way for me in "Hoosiers" and so did the changing of the names, year, etc. -- I consider that movie to be as different from the story of the real Milan High as "The Natural" (movie version) is to its original story (the novel).

That said, it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of either film. I just consider "Hoosiers" to be a completely separate story from Milan High. One's history, and the other is fiction. Both are all-time great stories.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Doubt the DVD sales in West Virginia are too hot.

9. 93Devil

But the VHS tapes are selling like crazy!!!

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Nothing like the Betamaxes

Draft saved Draft deleted