1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exodus continues ... WaPo's Carpenter to Yahoo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bruhman, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't really see this as an exodus. It's just more opportunities for sports writers and columnists.

It's a good thing, not a wandering-40-years-in-the-desert-without-a-decent-deli kind of thing.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a good thing. It would be a better thing if most of the people who have gone to Rivals, Fanhouse, CBS Sports, Yahoo, SI.com etc... were being replaced. I have no idea if Carpenter is being replaced, but I would bet 90 percent of the people who have left for those jobs were not replaced directly or indirectly.

3. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I kinda see it as an exodus, with WAY more folks leaving -- voluntarily or otherwise -- than the number of folks coming aboard. So I don't see it as a good thing for newspapers, although it's good for the writers who land elsewhere.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It may not be a good thing for "newspapers" but it's a good thing for "sports writers."

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I don't wanna sound like Johnny Raincloud or anything, but...

<a href="http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=142896">It's getting harder to make a print-to-digital move</a>

"The talent pool has so deepened that print devotees are no longer go-to candidates, says Nat Ives. "In fact, it's closer to the opposite." There's definitely a "prejudice" against print people, says BetaWave chief revenue officer Mark Oltarsh.

6. Goalmouth, that's an interesting story but it sounds like it's talking more about ad sellers than writers. Not that I don't think the same could hold true on the writing side of the equation. Then again, the story's vague with its terms - "print professionals"? - so maybe I'm wrong.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

A number of those who have landed at the Web sites were shed by their newspapers -- and not replaced -- before they went to their online homes.

Writers turning their backs on newspapers now are just trying to beat those papers to the punch. Even the places determined not to do layoffs might not have any control over long-term job security and viability.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The reason it's hard to make a move from print to web is because there are far more print jobs than there are web jobs, at least web jobs that pay competitive wages.

So there's a lot of movement, but it's usually the top 1 percent of the profession. The other 99 percent remains fucked.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Without touching the topic of conversation, I just wanted to say that Yahoo! has yet another steal. Carpenter is as good as any in his NFL coverage, and Yahoo! Sports will maintain its high standard with this hire.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Good get for Yahoo! definitely; will make a strong site even stronger.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I disagree with this phrasing. If a writer went from the Washington Post to the New York Times, would you say he turned his back on the Post?

These are sports writers who will remain sports writers, just for a different platform. It's the same basic job, just a different boss and delivery system.

We should celebrate all the good-paying web opportunities.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I see your point, Ace. I was more emphasizing the direction of the move, not so much the motive of it. My hunch is that few of those who go from newspaper-->Web site will ever go (or want to go) back to print.

Newspapers created, actively or passively, a climate where folks who previously would be "lifers" can't count on that and, thus, are of a mind to leave what was their preferred medium for other forms and outlets.

Draft saved Draft deleted