1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exodus continues ... WaPo's Carpenter to Yahoo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bruhman, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but it's interesting that Internet sites such as Yahoo and AOL continue to add print journos while newspapers continue to cut and furlough.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Congrats, Double Down!!!

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Whitlock will be thrilled

4. I don't know if Yahoo is really a safer bet than a newspaper at this point. Yahoo's been having its own exodus for the past two years and is probably in need of some major changes on the business/technology side if it's going to stay afloat for more than another year or two.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've asked time and again: How does Yahoo make money?

Its home page at the moment has one ad --- for Lean Cuisine --- and its tiny market watch sponsored by ScottTrade.

Where does the revenue come from?

6. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

I've known Les for a number of years. I like his long-form pieces. Good eye for details. Nice sequencing to his pieces. I would prefer to read lengthy stories on paper, rather than a screen, but that's mostly because I am old and cranky and set in my ways. So I wish Les much luck and success as a Yahoo-er.

7. Yahoo makes its money off of search advertising, the same as Google. Companies buy ads to appear alongside relevant searches, like how you get a couple paid entries before the first real link in a Google search. This is much more lucrative than ads on content, because searches give you a great opportunity to target specific customer needs, etc.

That said, Yahoo is increasingly beholden to Microsoft. They're no longer developing their own search engine or ad network and have been setting up deals to just resell Microsoft's stuff, basically. Aside from familiarity, there's no reason for users to keep coming to the site and there are better alternatives out there. That's fine for the short term, but we've seen exactly how well that worked out for newspapers...

Then again, they're a giant company with a revenue stream and there's no reason it can't be turned around. And if any companies can support significant news operations based on ad revenue, search engines would be a prime candidate.

8. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I don't get it.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yahoo also owns Rivals, which is a cash freaking cow.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Whitlock tried to out Double Down as Les Carpenter, which is only funny because Double Down is not Les Carpenter.

I like Whitlock, but it was a total dick move.

11. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I'm not at all disputing this -- simply pleading ignorance in the ways of Web revenue models (and I'm obviously not alone on that). So I ask in a sincere way, fill me in on how Rivals a cash cow?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's interesting.

Even before Google existed, I hated the results I got from Yahoo search and always went elsewhere.

Cannot imagine why anyone would use Yahoo search for anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted