1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

clicks

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

help me understand

i am a rigid jackass but i really want to understand

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I guess. Men attack a woman's character - really for any reason short of a violent crime, but especially for a pregnancy-related reaction - at their own risk.

I move in some circles where the loss of a pregnancy is a very, very big deal. Those circles had zero issue with Teigen's tweet. Some may not have shared it the way she did, but didn't view it as a problem.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I can really see both sides of this argument. I, personally, wouldn't be posting -- particularly not private, semi-intimate-seeming hospital photos -- about a lost baby. It just seems like a bit too much over-sharing of a private matter to me.

But...I can also see the use of social media as the outlet -- the venting resource -- that we all know it is, and how, if you're a public, social-media savvy person like Teigen, you might think nothing of posting about such things. In fact, it might be considered good, even the the best, kind of stuff -- akin to a regular journalist who knows he's got a great, important, meaningful "get" of a story.

The context of social media needs to be taken into account here, with the idea that this is what people do these days -- post about virtually everything on social media. It has become just a way -- the way, practically -- of communicating, venting, talking, discussing, letter-writing, etc., to the point that Teigen, and indeed, most people, would think nothing of it. I'm not even sure she was actually choosing her way of "grieving" when she did it. My feeling is that that is, in fact, actually being done mostly in private with Legend and the rest of those closest to her.

She was simply sharing what she considered an important thing with the world, and that's just what she and many others do with social media.

Liut likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The reason for posting about losing the baby is simple: They’re celebrities, people knew she was pregnant, and the fact that they lost the baby is newsworthy.

It’s a press release. Jason’s pretty out of touch with his former profession if he didn’t realize that.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Gah. The design. Pick an alignment and stick with it!

8. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Pretty simple.

Some people simply can't accept that other people are different than they are.

Whitlock is one of those people. He's an asshole. And he seems like an absolutely miserable person. Can't imagine going through life so bent out of shape all the time.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  9. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

But he's not a journalist anymore (neither nominally nor goddamned). He's a gimmick or a troll or whatever. He gave up being a journalist to become a presence on social media trying to engage with people who don't know who the fuck he is. And why would Chrissy Teigen and John Legend know who the fat guy that used to be on the least-watched FS1 talking heads show is or care what he thinks?

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Sorry to bother you sir, aren't you *the* fat guy that used to be on the least-watched FS1 talking heads show?

OMG, honey, we we right! It really is the fat guy that used to be on the least-watched FS1 talking heads show!

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"Lady, I should let that insult go. I'm punching down. But I can't help it. By nature, I am Babe Ruth stuffed inside of a giant olive pimento loaf. So move the fences back, cause here comes my upper deck swing. First, you could argue that I'm the most accomplished sports journalist in America. ..."

stix likes this.
  12. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Wow! Bugs was doing the leg kick before every coach starting teaching the leg kick. Way ahead of his time, that wascuhwie wabbit.

Draft saved Draft deleted