1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He is not even a little right.

I have a problem with the entire genre of “Can someone explain why people who aren’t me sometimes have thoughts, opinions or choices that are different from mine?” Like anything that isn’t exactly what you would do requires justification.

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Dr. King's daughter gets at it this way:

and again, from that Reali thread:

Compassion means ‘to suffer with’. When something tragic happens to someone else sometimes we say, “I can’t imagine...” There’s value in other people talking & showing us what this grief is - so we can imagine - and be helped. So we encourage & help the next with compassion

3. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

Seems very pro-life of her to share. I would think Whitlock would appreciate the value she placed on her child.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He's not. He doesn't get to decide how she should grieve.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's not telling her how to grieve.

He's confounded by their decision.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I agree with this.

But, for the sake of discussion, even if I didn't agree - wouldn't it be best just to STFU? Who said it earlier, Azrael? You don't have to say everything that comes into your head. Shake your head if you don't like it and move on. She's in pain, that's part of how she is choosing to deal with it. Show just a smidge of decency and STFU.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The only reason to be confounded by their decision is that you've somehow reached an age where you are nominally an adult but have somehow managed to perform some Barry Sanders-esque jukes and dodges to escape the entire concept that other people exist, are not you, and may prefer different things than you.

And he's a goddamned journalist, at least nominally. A profession that has its entire code of ethics pinned around the idea that people want their stories told, even in moments of grief or trauma.

Regan MacNeil and Patchen like this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What Rick and Moddy said.

Also, the idea that "he's only asking the question" doesn't apply to Whitlock anymore. He's never just asking a question. He already has what he thinks is the answer.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That's exactly it. He's fishing for your justification so he can blow it apart in one of his shitty columns.

In other words you're doing half the work for him.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A subsequent tweet indicated he found the grieving post insincere.

I don’t get the point of going after Teigen’s tweet.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Whitlock finding something insincere is unintentional irony in its highest form.

Double Down likes this.
  12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Because he's a dick and that's what he does. Nothing more.

Draft saved Draft deleted