1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Depression-era, then?

Wow. What was the Dust Bowl like?

2. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Whitlock is an opinion teller. Get it right.

Telling the truth actually requires examining the truth. Which requires talking to people actually living in the truth. In other words, reporting.

I love The Wire, too. Favorite show of all-time. Unless I somehow missed a disclaimer in the first episode, though, I thought it was a fictional drama show and not a documentary.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just a dumbass.

stix likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Dust Bowl was a blowout. Cleveland State could do nothing against Oklahoma’s defense.

5. The wild part about that Kaepernick clip is that he actually showed up at an event to ask someone a question. When was the last time he did that?

6. stix

stix Well-Known Member

That was probably it.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Everyone is an opinion teller for the most part. Truth is occasionally tricky; it’s hard to always know it, short of being God.

good opinion tellers know that, and try to accumulate as many facts as possible to get to the objective truth. They also know the concept of “personal truth” is a euphemism for opinion or perspective, and that anyone who uses the phrase “personal truth” needs to be trusted just a little less after they’ve said it.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

When was the last time Mr. Whitlock did any reporting in service of his truths and opinions?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman and Patchen like this.
  9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't care about Whitlock. Why should anyone?

Him, like certain other media types, need attention like a fire needs oxygen. They have to keep the flame going somehow. So to get that, they take shots at other media types until they get their attention and respond.

Whitlock had some talent, but he wasn't the best sports writer or sports columnist at the KC Star when he was there and as far as most accomplished current sportswriter, that's Wright Thompson*, who didn't piss away the opportunities presented by ESPN among other things.

*I can be convinced it isn't Wright but present your arguments for who.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Define most accomplished.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We're quoting Mr. Whitlock, so we should probably ask him.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think, in reality, the most accomplished sports writer is probably some dude in India. who covers cricket and has a billion loyal readers, with almost all Americans having no idea who he is.

But, for the American perspective, my idea of accomplished means quality and volume of work, which I acknowledge favors magazine/online writers over the novelists and daily grinders. Quality and volume of appearances on other platforms, if any. How the general public views the writer as well as what the inside baseball types think, and as people who write and edit for a living, or did, that gives a good sense of how much reporting went into a piece versus the hot takes.

I think that's important but how would you define most accomplished?

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted