1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

It is such a sick burn to point out that journalists on a journalism board are providing thoughts about a media figure.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How is he undermining himself morally and politically?

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a dumb point so long as we agree that not "mattering" is more about having what most journalists deem the wrong thoughts about things.

Whitlock's hero is Royko. Royko's thoughts in the 1990s are generally not acceptable today. He'd be accused of shitposting.

(Note: This is not some endorsement of The Blaze, either.)

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The only person comparing Jason Whitlock to Mike Royko is Jason Whitlock.

He should stop doing so. Same for the comparison with Ralph Wiley.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You suggested the cautionary tale was moral.

I'm saying it's moral . . . and practical and artistic and political.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

nah

Some of Royko's thoughts in the 90s were debatable.

Thus, they were debated.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't matter much. This guy isn't Mike Royko, Mike Royko existed in a different time and place, operating in a different medium. ... and honestly, Mike Royko had a very stable career, 30 years writing columns for the various Chicago papers. He also was a popular figure to working-class Chicago at a time when way more people read papers than know who Jason Whitlock is today. He also was highly respected for his ability as a columnist within the industry he worked in. For 25, 30 years young journalists showed up in Chicago newsrooms wanting to be him.

Do any of those things apply to Jason Whitlock?

About the only possible parallel to Jason Whitlock someone not named @Alma (or Whitlock himself) could come up with that I can think of is that Royko was a bit of a bridge burner. But even after he'd curse Rupert Murdock to the moon or make statements about how he'd never work for the Trib, those papers were tripping over themselves to have the guy write a column for them. Which is where that parallel ends.

Pilot likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Got it. So, how did he undermine himself morally and politically?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You go first, since it was your suggestion.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I suggested that was your meaning. How could I go first on what you mean?

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What led you to believe that was his meaning?

"This is what you meant! I know it is! Explain yourself!"

It's like arguing with a more polite Simon Cowbell.

dixiehack likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know.

But you seemed pretty comfortable making the assumption.

Is it a cautionary tale with a moral? Of course. That's the definition of the form.

(The moral of the Whitlock story - as a matter of career counseling - might be "Work hard. And don't alienate everyone you've ever worked for, or with.")

As a matter of morality, I think shoveling under-reported, under-researched grievance into the grievance-making machine is pretty cynical, and a thin mess of pottage indeed. Hence the phrase "shitposting." At a place like the Blaze he's not trying to convince anyone of anything.

Politically?

He has become - or worse yet, pretends to be - an ideologue. So he's no Mike Royko.

Alma and Patchen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted