1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. I'm not going to belittle the significance of his career. He was a major Metro sports columnist who meant something. He's written and appeared on television for both ESPN and FOX Sports. And anyone who say he's never done anything worthwhile are either lying or ignorant. People paid attention to what he said. They responded. They often argued against it.

Now, he's largely ignored by Black athletes and by Black media members. The best example is from 2016 when Colin Kaepernick was conducting a press conference and Jason Whitlock attempted to provide something that was between advice and a challenge and Kaepernick simply didn't respond. It's at 2 minutes, 20 seconds:

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Can we just not?

sgreenwell and wicked like this.
  5. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I'd like to know who the reporter was who just cut off any chance for a response to that question and asked his own question. Hero.

Adam94, RonClements and Dog8Cats like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has he ever said what happened at the Undefeated? Shoot, talk about a position to where you could really matter, and have an impact not only day to day but in elevating writers and editors to national signficance on matters beyond sports.

OscarMadison and Patchen like this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You can overanalyze a moment like that.

I don't think he ignored him. It seemed clear that he was listening to what Jason was saying.

There was just no question for Kaepernick to answer. And then someone else started to ask one and he turned his attention to it.

BTW, is the board going to devolve into a bunch of Jason Whitlock threads?

For a guy who stopped mattering, he sure matters to a lot of people on here.

Which I am fairly certain will delight him.

8. Only Whitlock threads from now on.

Adam94, OscarMadison and Patchen like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sure

VIDEO: Jason Whitlock Testifies Before House Judiciary Committee

“Silicon Valley is in control of America,” Whitlock started his speech. “It is in control of the American media. If you do not agree with Silicon Valley, and Northern California’s radical point of view, they will cancel you and silence you on their social media platforms.”

“Twitter is the editor of the American media,” he added. “Twitter is a rigged algorithm that imposes a world view that is anti-American, anti-religion, and anti the values that made American the ideal human experience.”

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but I kind of think Scandinavia is the ideal human experience. Just sayin'

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Would everybody agree newspapers made a huge mistake in embracing Twitter? Newspapers never should have followed celebrities to Twitter and should have ignored it. Show me the money.

Draft saved Draft deleted