1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ex dilemma

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fake_handle, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Fake_handle

Fake_handle New Member

After living together for many years, my ex and I parted ways a couple months back. It was exceedingly difficult - especially for me, I'm still not over her all the way, though I'm fairly certain she's over me - but remarkably clean. No anger, no FUCK YOU, no dragging each other through the mud, no destroying of possessions. I'm frankly shocked I had that much maturity in me.

I made all the right moves - took her name out of my contact list, deleted her from all the relevant places, got rid of all the pictures. But we recently got back in email contact over some logistical stuff, and we've broached the topic of trying to reconnect on a friend level at some point in the future. It seems like it's probably going to have to happen at some point - we have a great many mutual friends, and we hang out at the same places. That being said, it seems like the common sense move would be to keep contact severed.

I'm guessing many of you have experience with this. So, what to do? Has it worked out OK for you? Has it been a disaster? What's a realistic time frame to wait before making the initial contact? Thanks Abby!

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Stay in touch, stay somewhat close. that way you can have breakup sex...Over and Over and Over again.

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

If I were you, I wouldn't be the one to re-initiate contact. Especially if you're not sure about your feelings.

Let it happen naturally, and only when you're ready.

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Also ... it's generally been a disaster.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Have been in contact with all but one of my long-term exes and it's always been friendly and all that. I wish them well, they wish me well ... but it's also always been damn awkward. There's usually a reason people decide to part company and it's not because you want to stop having sex. Many times it's because one of you (or both) has learned to dislike the other to such a degree that you decide to terminate a relationship. If time allows the memory of that dislike to fade, odds are it will come back.

6. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

Wait. A long time. (Everyone's definition of "long" varies, so maybe you'll consider six months long enough.) You can be friends at some point later on in life, but you need to let the tension dissipate, and in most cases it won't happen overnight.

7. Fake_handle

Fake_handle New Member

Well, she's the one who pulled the trigger, and she's the one who started making noise about getting back in contact. I don't think she wants to get back together, and I think she genuinely can't understand why a meeting would be tough.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's different, clearly, when the ex is a former spouse, but I would say to think in terms of friendly rather than friends. If you run in similar circles, be friendly in those settings. Having one-on-one calls/e-mails/coffees? Don't really see the point.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Why don't you ask Matt Leinart?

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Tremendous

11. Bingo.

12. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

If you're at a point when you're OK being introduced to her new flame, then go for it. If that would kill you a little inside, wait some more.

Draft saved Draft deleted