1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The everything karaoke thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Feb 28, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

There's a reason I basically avoid the song like the plague. That, and I'd need to be completely Stanified to touch Steve Perry's range.

2. forever_town

I was talking to a guy who is a huge Led Zeppelin fan Saturday night. I mentioned that my Chick I'd Switch For (I did NOT use that name Flash, call me a chicken shit if you want :p) also sang their song "Rock And Roll." He expressed surprise and I mentioned to him that I use her version as my template when I sing it.

So, I sang it last night ala La Nicks. Complete with tambourine, complete with her repeat of the first verse toward the end. He came up to me and said, "that was awesome."

I felt especially good because someone complimented my version of one of his favorite band's songs.

3. forever_town

Some folks who know me know that I occasionally sing a humorous duet with one of my straight guy friends at karaoke.

Many months ago, he came up and proposed that we sing "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher. This was a few weeks after he'd answered a MySpace survey that let me know that he knew I was gay. I immediately saw the irony of our even doing the song, let alone that he was the one who proposed singing it.

So one night, we sang the song. Even though he's a good bit taller than I am, I was singing the Cher parts. After we got done and we did a guy hug, he said, "we are so doing that again." And we have. Several times. However, there was one line we didn't cross. When Sonny sings the line "so put your little hand in mine" we haven't done so.

We sang the song again last night. I have photos that I'll post on MySpace. Only last night, as he was beginning to sing that line, he put his hand out. Before I knew it, we had broken that barrier and we were actually holding hands on stage. That definitely ratcheted up the comedy factor in my opinion.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I used to bartend at a place that had karaoke. It was possibly the worst singing I've ever heard. And it was the same shiftless loser bunch fo freaks every week singing the same damn songs.

Just terrible. I did turn it into a good column however.

Although I do have a story of horrendous singing on myself. We went out one New Year's Eve and drink A LOT of beer. Well, we ended up at this bar that had karaoke, and I sang Cum on Feel the Noize. Well, sing may be a bit of an overstatement. Screamed it at the top of my lungs is more like it. I actually cleared a bar I was so loud.

I didn't even tip the lady, just gave her a kiss on the cheek as my buddies drug me out of the bar. Good times.

5. forever_town

When I sing karaoke, I usually MUST have a mic stand where I can put the mic. It's part of the whole stage persona I put on. With the mic on the mic stand, I can play air guitar, play tambourine during certain songs or just dance and carry on during times when I'm not singing. It's usually required. When I sing Stevie Nicks songs, it's ESSENTIAL.

A few weeks ago, I went to this gay karaoke bar I occasionally visit. No mic stand. I put in "Stand Back." Holding the mic in your hand when you're doing her patented spins isn't ideal. Singing "Rock And Roll," which is normally one of my tambourine songs without a mic stand: Also not ideal. Granted, I made the most of it by doing air guitar and air drums, but still.

I ended up singing The Eagles "Get Over It." At least I like singing the song...

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I remember when I was in a college choir, we went on a tour of Singapore, Australia and Malaysia.

There was a karaoke bar in the hotel we were in in Singapore, and so a few of us went down there for some fun and games. There were also a bunch of busisessmen, and the other sort you'd expect to find in a Singaport hotel karaoke bar.

A few of us get up and sing some stupid stuff like 'Barbie Girl' and the like, and the businessmen figure out that we can all sing a bit.

So they start asking us if we'll join them on stage to sing. One small problem. They're picking Singaporean songs to sing, and all we have for words are symbols running along the bottom of the screen.

Lots of made up lyrics that night.

7. I usually wimp out and sing REM's it's the end of world as we know it. It's challenging for it's lyrics, but it's mostly not really singing. It's a fun song for the voice-impaired, though.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I thought DJ Stewy inspired this thread to be brought back from the dead.

I can't sing worth a lick, but my stage presence is undeniable. I murder karaoke.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I can vouch for this. I was there. Unfortunately. ;)

I shoulda got Charity's e-mail.

10. forever_town

Seeing the Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger mentioned in the pre-Secret Santa thread reminded me that I sang
    at karaoke Saturday night.

Oh my God. It was a huge hit. Even though I was going for falsettos I normally avoid like the plague.

Guess all those times that song played on the radio were a sign. :D

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Give me any Righteous Brothers song and I will tear down the house.

12. forever_town

I had Miranda Lambert's "Gunpowder And Lead" playing in my brain for the previous few days, so I put it in to start the night on Saturday night. This was in spite of the fact that I was at the straight karaoke bar I go to from time to time.

Surprisingly enough, people really got into it. Of course, I changed the lyric from "I'm gonna show him what a little girl's made of" to "I'm going to show him what I'm made of," but it did well.

Draft saved Draft deleted