1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The everything karaoke thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Feb 28, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wait ... how'd that picture of me get on here?! J/K

2. A buddy of mine swore that he would never sing karaoke. So on his 21st birthday when he was a couple hours into this partying, we signed him up to "I believe in a thing called love" by the Darkness. It was so god-awful bad that it was great.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Whenever I see or hear someone talk about The Darnkness, I think about the Dropkick Murphys' "Wicked Sensitive Crew."

"In Sydney, they misunderstood us
    They called us thugs and mean-spirited types
    Yeah we might not be Swedish
    And we sure ain't vegan
    But do thugs have posters on their bedroom wall of the dude
    from the Darkness in a creepy meat suit zippered so low you
    can practically see his ...

... Ugh. That's gross."

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Don't we already have a thread on American Idol? :D

5. forever_town

This is for all of us who don't have the voices or the requisite youth to try out for American Idol. :D

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Roxanne by The Police ... in Nashville.

7. forever_town

I bring a tambourine with me to karaoke (the thing used to light up but the batteries died on it).

Anyway, I started the night with a rendition of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' "I Need To Know." Complete with the tambourine. And yes, I played it during the bridge and the third chorus. And when one of my friends sang Miranda Lambert's "Kerosene."

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

When my dad comes to town in a few weeks, he and I will be singing this...

9. forever_town

I so wish
    song were available for karaoke.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I have four different versions of Karoke Revoultion for the PS2, and I will have Rock Band when I get my check from WoF.

11. forever_town

This was the first time in about three weeks that I went to karaoke. The karaoke venue I go to had bands performing on Saturday night (my night to karaoke), thus meaning that I wouldn't go to sing. But this Saturday saw karaoke back, so back I went.

This thread inspired me to put in The Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" for the first time in at least a couple of years. I remembered the first time I sang it and shocked myself with the feeling that the spirit of the late George Harrison decided to pay a visit.

Anyway, when I used to sing the song regularly, I'd decided to incorporate a "lost" verse that went in place of the repeat of the first verse:

"I look from the wings at the play you are staging
    While my guitar gently weeps
    As I'm standing here doing nothing but aging
    Still my guitar gently weeps."

I went into singing the song with the idea of using that verse because the previous time I sang it those years ago, a woman joined me on stage and sang along. I didn't want to throw her off, so I sang it the way everyone knows it.

However, when that verse came up, I didn't sing the "lost" verse. Though I did the closing coda that was part of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame induction of George Harrison, sans Prince and his killer guitar solo.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Found out just how difficult Journey's Don't Stop Believin is last week. Me and a couple buds absolutely fucked up that song.

Draft saved Draft deleted