1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Eurozone crisis and America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 26, 2012.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

According to the CIA Factbook estimated Spanish public debt in 2011 will be about 68% of GNP. German public debt is about 81% of GNP.

And I thought the Spanish had budget surpluses until 2007 when the recession struck and revenues plummetted.

Why is Spain in trouble and Germany considered a model?

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2186rank.html

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Germany's debt is shrinking.

http://news.yahoo.com/german-debt-down-81-2-percent-gdp-141101587--finance.html

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Did legality stop being a binary distinction while I wasn't looking again?

I hate when that happens.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

There became gray areas the second she turned out to be a cop.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

You mean that was a nightstick?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's legal, illegal, extralegal, quasilegal and barely legal.

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

You selling magazine subscriptions again?

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But the German level of debt to GNP is still higher than Spain is thier econmey doing so much better. Spain only started to run deficits when the recession hit and revenues collapsed. Why did Spain suffer so much more than Germany and face a default?

And the British have a higher debt to GNP than Spain. They are cutting spending but the economy does not appear to be responding.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Sure it's responding. It's just responding by falling into recession. The entire program of cuts was predicated on the idea that hundreds of thousands of laid-off government workers would fall into the loving employment embrace of the private sector.

The shock that that hasn't happened would be hilarious if it weren't so maddening.

You can't eat a falling debt-to-GDP ratio. I've yet to see a solution to these problems that includes what people are actually supposed to do to earn a living. But Santander only earned a billion and a half euros in the first quarter, so who cares about people.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just laughed at your "Santander only earned a billion and a half. ... so who cares about people." Do you realize that Lehman Brothers was reporting billion dollar earnings right up until it folded like a house hit by a tornado?

Santander might not last the year. Saying it earned money last quarter would have been like saying GM was earning money right before it was about to file for bankruptcy. It is holding huge amounts of private debt it will never be able to pay, which has left the ECB (and our Federal Reserve, as I pointed out) funneling money to them -- but without forcing reforms on them. That means that rather than raising new capital and writing off bad loans, Santander has been fudging its book and using ECB funds to paper over their dodgy loans -- it is pretty much what the U.S. banks were doing prior to their collapse in 2008.

It's important that you get a true understanding of what is going on with those banks -- it is what could potentially affect you. Santander just increased their provisions for nonperforming loans by 51 percent to 3.1 billion euros, to offset an increase in defaults. It is sitting on a wrecked real estate portfolio that is sinking the bank.

And your concentration on debt to GDP tells only part of a story. Your debt to GDP matters to the extent of the size of your economy. The U.S.'s debt to GDP is greater than 100 percent. The U.S. also has a much larger and more vibrant economy than these places that are close to default, so its ability to borrow is greater. Same with Germany -- which in fact, has looked like a paragon of fiscal restraint since 2008 compared to the U.S. While we were passing an $800 billion spending bill to add even more debt to our already skyrocketing debt load, Germany showed restraint. Germany's economy -- which is teetering anyhow, because it is not immune to its neighbors -- has outperformed ours, despite what was sold here as "stimulus." And even with that? Germany has kept its economy growing due to demand for its exports (something that Spain, Italy, etc. don't have), but without that growth, it could easily become a sovereign debt risk, as well, and growth has only been slightly above recessionary levels.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They're all sitting on shitty real estate portfolios. That's THE issue in Spain. I laugh when I see two-thirds of Spanish banks claiming that their NPL ratio is less than that of the sector at large. Clearly most, if not all, of them are lying.

Where I have an issue is that when the next Dexia happens, be it Santander or UniCredit or whoever, 50,000 people are going to lose their jobs (directly -- a lot more indirectly) while the executives and officials who signed off on all this shit get golden parachuted to the Mediterranean coast. Meanwhile, the fund managers betting on failure will rake in a couple million more in bonuses.

The little guy bears all the cost of failure, but the big guy "earned" all the benefits of success? Bullshit.

And we've been over demand for German exports. You keep touting Germany as a paragon of virtue, when its economy is founded on using an unworkable currency to sell overpriced crap to countries that can't afford it.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I feel like you are looking at a European problem through an American lens. You just underestimate the lengths Europe will *continue* to sacrifice itself as a whole to keep the union together. And as we know, that has a lot less to do with economy that with social dynamics post-1939. I don't think as Americans we can fully understand how important it is to the EU to maintain unity. Germany will prop up the Eurozone far longer than would be economically pragmatic. There's been a lot written about this post-meltdown.

It's also worth noting that in the grand scheme of things, these potential defaults do not comprise a significant portion of the world market. There's a reason everyone keeps bankrolling these struggling nations -- the cost of propping up a tiny economy like Greece is low compared to the irrational hit the world markets would take from a country's default.

Gee, I wonder where all that irrationality comes from?

Draft saved Draft deleted