1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ESPYs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Brian Wilson reminds me a whole lot of a friend of mine. Same weird nonsense comes out of their mouths. But sometimes when he pushes it too far, you just have to tell him to shut the fuck up. But they generally mean well and add something to life, if you don't over analyze it.

2. Bill Lee thinks Brian Wilson is a strange fuck.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Brian Wilson has become the face of baseball - ugh.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would rather watch Two Girls, One Cup with my mother-in-law than watch the ESPYs.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The ESPYs are basically an awards show as written by the SNL staff, and like any SNL episode it had hits and misses. I liked the "Lockout Professionals" faux ad w/ Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, Adrian Peterson and an extra-special wacky guest appearance by the artist Formerly Known as Ron Artest. Seth's crack that "if Brian Wilson had played Wilson in Cast Away, it would have been a horror movie" was the best dig at Wilson of the night. Seth's sexting joke was a good idea, but too much setup for not enough payoff. And the Vancouver riot couple was just bad, mostly because both Paul Scheer and whoever the chick was playing the girl both sounded Scottish, not Canadian. Would have been funnier if they had, as rumored, been able to get Paul Rudd and Elizabeth Banks.

Lastly, I don't know who that Raphael Saadiq fellow is that was performing coming out of the breaks, but I predict he will be an SNL musical guest in the not-too-distant future.

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

The ESPYs are ESPN's over-glorification of its own egomanic love for itself.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

have never watched. don't expect i ever will. 8)

and i'll watch about ANYTHING involving the big names in sports. when they're, you know, PLAYING the games i give a darn about'. or another they involve the teams adding important players (nfl draft). first-run eps of 'royal pains' and 'rescue me' were the only tv fare i required on this wednesday summer night.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I ripped Wilson's calculated weirdness in the baseball thread, and got shouted down for it. Glad to see folks here are a bit more simpatico ... or maybe his "body suit tuxedo" finally broke the camel's back.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

How close is Brian Wilson to becoming the Dennis Rodman of baseball?

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I watched a couple of minutes of the monologue -- Seth M. is pretty funny at the format and I laughed at some of the NBA jokes. It was like a roast, where you mention everyone on the dias, but without being as mean. I shut it off after that was done.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Fan stupidity: Voting for Blake Griffin to win breakthrough athlete and the dunk contest.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Me, too. I like Meyers and listened to the monologue, then went back to catching up on my DVR'd stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted