1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ESPN ombudsman is pitching a perfect game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Soccer15211, Oct 9, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's the equivalent of throwing a no hitter where the only audience is a drunken lout who passed out in the bottom of the third inning.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I'm just trying to figure out if you ever saw me with my (certifiably awesome) mustache.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone could read Schreiber's article and not respect her views and give them careful consideration. Sure ratings rule the roost, and talking head programming is very cheap to produce (see cable news), but I do sense a commitment by ESPN to do good journalism. And you don't get to the decision-making level at ESPN by responding to someone of Schreiber's pedigree asking you why you do things a certain way and blowing her off.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Remember this, ESPN is a network, and sometimes network programmers aren't the brightest tool in the shed ;D

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

It's not just opinions. It's neverending rampant speculation. For example: "Could A-Rod be headed to Los Angeles?" was a SC tease this week. The man hasn't even opted out of his contract and they're discussing something that probably won't happen and, if it does, is months away. Who cares? How can anyone see that tease and be interested in the report when the report can't possibly contain any facts? I don't get it.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, when it comes down to how can anyone be interested in that, it's what has kept sports radio going for about 15 years without a lot of dead air.

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Not really. Sports talk radio thrives on people calling up to complain about their favorite teams.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Not the national shows. Debate, conjecture and hyperbole. Staples.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fox has gone from Al Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize to Will he know jump in and run for president to now asking that if he runs for president will he be setting a bad example for our youth because he is overweight.
    For tomorrow, when he wins will he make Hillary his VP? After Gore/Clinton takes the White House will they outlaw gasoline, smoking and guns? Please let him have his news cycle.

Draft saved Draft deleted