1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ESPN ombudsman is pitching a perfect game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Soccer15211, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Could you maybe say that about EVERY ombudsman out there?

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

We've found our lost demographic that will save newspapers.
    Those that have recently moved and don't have internet, television or radio.
    Oh, man. This is great!!!

3. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Her stuff is absolutely great. But I think ESPN is merely using her for appearances, and that by using her, it sends the message that Mickey Mouse "really cares about all the little people out there and what they think." Which they don't. She's peeing in a hurricane.

4. fishwrapper

Vince Doria and LeAnne Schreiber have know each other for 30+ years.
    To think he dismisses or discounts her opinions/suggestions is callow.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

To think one well-meaning ombudsman's opinions are changing the behavior of a multi-million-dollar corporation seems equally "callow."

6. fishwrapper

Never said she was going to change them. Your words.
    Everyone has stated her suggestions would fall on deaf ears. Well, I know a pair pretty high up in that food chain that respects her opinion.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Well, being listened to and then ignored isn't that much better than just being ignored, is it?

8. fishwrapper

Well, that is the question, isn't it?
    You assume one, without knowing the other. I can't tell you if any of her ideas or suggestions are being implemented. Just the same, you can't tell me they're being ignored.
    My lone statement -- that I do know -- was Doria and Schreiber have a long relationship. Over three decades. And one of respect. That's all.
    Now, if that will affect change, that would be a question for Vince.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Your original comment said anyone who thought Schreiber was being ignored was "callow." Since then, you've retreated to hair-splitting about whether she's listened to before being ignored.

I'd believe her suggestions "are being implemented" more if I'd noticed any kind of change in ESPN's modus operandi. I'm not holding my breath.

After all, This Norby Williamson quote sounds a great deal more representative of ESPN's culture than anything Schreiber's written:

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. fishwrapper

A RED "X."

11. Mighty_Wingman

Damn it. Seriously? I can see it fine on my computer. I suppose the red x takes away from my brilliant imageplay...the second picture is of a tree falling in a forest. Actually, I guess the first is, too.

12. fishwrapper

I get your point. I understand your point. Of course, it's a valid one.
    I tried to make a statement as vague and as specific as I could without some on here figuring out who I am. Perhaps, I've muddied the picture even more.

Draft saved Draft deleted