1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The engagement ring --- an "outmoded commodity?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 16, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

A tradition that symbolizes the passing of the ownership of woman from her father to another man is one I can easily live without.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not me...I need someone else to take over taking care of me and picking up after me when I screw something up. :)

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Given the men that I date, I'm not gonna be the one getting taken care of, ya know ;)

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Damn, can make that retroactive to last year? I'm sure the wife would go for it. After sh e laughs her ass off and tells me to get a real job.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I once met a girl and her boyfriend who were planning to get married someday but hadn't yet gotten engaged. "Well if you know you're going to get married, why haven't you gotten engaged yet?" I asked.

The response was that he couldn't afford the ring yet. Fair enough, I thought. That is, until she mentioned that he had to spend $25,000 on the ring.

I did a double take and asked what the hell she was talking about. She said that if he wants to marry her, she must have a ring that costs $25,000. Now, she wasn't talking about a specific ring she loved, just the price tag. She was more concerned with what it cost than what it looked like or meant.

Her logic was that $25,000 shouldn't be too high a price for him to spend the rest of his life with her.

I told her right there that if a woman ever said that to me, I drop her ass immediately. I then told him to think twice before marrying someone who has those kinds of expectations. She didn't take kindly to that.

6. Reading stuff like this makes me so glad I married someone with some common God Damn sense. .. at least when it comes to finance and material possessions.
    Sheesh!

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I wish we still had that thread about redswriter's marriage, with the idiot who posted that all women were whores who only got married for financial gain.

To me, marriage-weddings-rings is about tradition...you're into it or your not. Personal choice...why would anyone judge someone else for that?

All I know is, I have many affluent friends with big beautiful rocks that are locked away in the vault, post-divorce. Lovely gesture, guarantees nothing.

For the right person, you draw on your finger with a Sharpie. For the wrong person, no ring will ever make it right.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Because we judge people on just about everything else. From the clothes people wear, to the manners displayed at dinner, to the car they drive; all we do as a people is judge.

I am rather astonished by the actions of many women in relation to the engagement ring.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Being a sociologist (technically, due to my degree), the engagement ring is to signify love, not monetary gain. Society moulds what love, marriage and committment is to one another, and the engagement ring for women and men signify this.

I think the thing I would look at is if women want the "big" diamond, instead of the small one, are they really in this for love? It shouldn't matter what ring you get, it is the token and thought that counts. This may seem crazy but even if I ever got a 25 cent ring from a vending machine, or a hard rock candy ring from a suitor, it would be the most sweetest thing in the whole wide world, and who wouldn't marry someone after that?

I am a helpless romantic and to me it doesn't matter what the ring looks like or how much it costs, it is the fact that someone is professing their love to you.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

So you have a TV for the living room and for the bedroom? Nice.

At 10K though, I still prefer my "it was given in love, if the love dies, we return it to the original holder" practice.

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Having been in a failed engagement, though, I can testify that engagement rings are pretty hard to get full value out of as returns, especially if you buy from one of the big chains. I'm still lugging my ex-fiancee's old engagement ring around, and the fuckers at the company from which I bought it say I can return it for one of double the value...if I pay the other half of the price.

Which is nice, but not as nice as a big fat wad of cash, especially since I'm currently single.

12. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

I bought a Tiffany ring for an engagement that ended up breaking (thank God). The good folks at Tiffany gave me every dollar back, no hassle.

Second time around, I bought wholesale.

Draft saved Draft deleted