1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of WarGames

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The cable channels throw the sequel ("WarGames: The Dead Code") into heavy rotation once in a while, and I would say it's really not that bad for what it is, just a goofy popcorn flick. Of course there are some gaping plot holes, but there were plenty in the original too. Of course the plotline in many ways follows the original but what the hell do you expect?

The only recurring character from the original is Falken, who is not played by the original actor, John Wood, but another guy who does look and sound very much like Falken would some 25 years later.

If I give the original about a 7.0 on a 10-point scale, I'd give the sequel about a 5.5. Nothing I'd go and pay $10 to see in a theater, but if it comes on cable teevee, I'll watch it for an hour or so.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Deezen's still at it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

If I recall, the Cubans and Soviets were the architects of our demise.

The fall of the Soviet Union truly was a horrible day for movie makers. North Koreans? Please.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That's when we moved to aliens, asteroids/comets and global warming to sate our extinction-level event cinema fetish.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And these guys..
    [​IMG]

Red Dawn is scheduled to be released this fall. More than three years after it wrapped.
    Despite the delay, it could be pretty decent considering Tony Gilroy's involvement and the director was the second unit guy from Bourne Ultimatum, Spiderman 3, Independence Day and Quantum of Solace.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

North Koreans can barely occupy their own country.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If NK ever launches a nuke, the whole world will get in their fallout shelters while playing radioactive cow bingo on where the thing lands.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Spoiler alert on the Red Dawn remake.

http://www.libertasfilmmagazine.com/exclusive-libertas-sees-the-uncensored-version-of-mgms-new-red-dawn/

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

Pilot, that was the original. I'm referring to the remake.

11. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I know how you feel. I'm that age and I felt that way too. Until The Day After aired. I remember it was on ABC, and right after it ended the network went into a special edition of Nightline, where there was a panel discussion about nuclear war. One of the people on the panel was Carl Sagan. The first thing Ted Koppel asked him was whether the film accurately depicted the aftermath of a nuclear exchange between the U.S. and Soviet Union. If you've seen the film, you know it was pretty awful ... people dying of radiation burns, thousands showing up at the only hospital they could get to, overwhelming the staff, virtually every building destroyed, farmers talking about scraping the top layer of soil off the ground and hoping something would grow in the soil underneath. It was awful.

Sagan -- in that monotone yet emphatic way of speaking that he had -- bluntly said, "No, actually, it would be much worse that what we saw in the film."

As an overly optimistic elementary school kid, I listened to that -- and I knew who Carl Sagan was, because I had watched Cosmos -- and somehow I decided that I didn't need to be afraid of a nuclear holocaust. Somehow I decided that if our leaders and the Soviet leaders knew how awful it would be, they wouldn't let it happen. But Bubbler is correct. The threat of nuclear war was something constant that loomed over you as a child in the 1980s.

Draft saved Draft deleted