1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of the 300-game winner?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jul 31, 2007.

?

Tom Glavine, at some point, will become the 23rd 300-game winner; When will the next 300th win by a

1. Less than 6 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 6-10 years

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. 10-15 years

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 15-20 years

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. 20 years or more

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. never again

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. That's who I was going to say. He's 26 with 78 wins.
    Johan's 28 with 89 wins

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

No way in hell does Pedro get to 300. He'll be throwing left-handed before he gets there. As for Verlander, Jered Weaver and all the other young guns, I'm not going to make any projections whatsoever until they have at least six full seasons under their collective belts.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Johan would have to win 20 a year for the next 10 years.

Outside shot, but damn, that's a long road.

4. Time for a Cole Hamels threadjack?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

spnited's head might explode.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do you really think these guys are going to pitch until 41 or 42? They make so much money there is no incentive to keep going that long.

So let's say Zambrano had 85 at the end of this season.
    15 a year until he's 40 still leaves him a little short.

Let's say Johan has 95 at the end of this season.
    15 a year until he's 40 leaves him a little short.

Verlander, age 24.. maybe he has 35 wins at the end of this season. 15 a year until he's 40 leaves him short.

You're counting on these guys being at or near the top of their games for another 12 or14 or 16 more seasons and having the desire to pitch until their 40. I don't see that happening.

Think about it.. you have to average 15 wins a year for 20 years to hit 300. The majority of these guys are not going to have 20-year careers.

7. I don't think it's likely, spnited, but those are active guys who have a prayer. The only way I see any of them doing it is to throw in a couple monster years of 25-26 wins.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And Blyleven looks better and better... ;)

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If they get to 250 or so before age 40 and are still healthy, that milestone takes priority over money.

10. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

That's a good point.

Plus, look at Glavine, Maddux, Clemens, Johnson ... these guys are pitching well in to their 40s. Why is it so hard to believe that these younger guys would do the same ... especially if they're approaching a milestone?

11. Yeah, I think I've read something about him recently. :D

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The biggest reason why 300 wins will take on more significance, and be reached less than in the past, while home run marks take on less significance, has been the advent of the five-man rotation. Pitchers have less chances to win games now, which means less wins over the typical career. It is also hurt by pitch counts, which frequently have starters out by the 6th or 7th inning, in time for crappy bullpens to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

In the days of the 3 and 4 man rotations, what I am talking about shows up in how common 300 inning seasons were. Now if you get 230 or 240 innings out of a pitcher, chances are he is going to lead the league. That just translates into fewer wins. Last year, 16 wins was the most in the NL. 19 was the most in the AL. In the decade before that--five-man rotations--anywhere from 19 to 24 wins would have given you the most in major leage baseball, with 20 being a norm. Go back to the 60s, when guys took the mound every four days and the win totals were higher. Same thing in the 30s, when guys would pitch more often and go deeper into games. It wasn't uncommon to have 24, 25, 26 and 27 game winners, and your occasional 30 game winner.

It's this change that makes it more and more unlikely that we will see a lot of 300 game winners in the future--with one caveat: Performance-enhancing drugs may help guys pitch longer than they would have in past times.

Draft saved Draft deleted