1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of Street and Smith?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jun 29, 2007.

1. icoverbucks

icoverbucks Member

Last 10 years or so, TSN's yearbooks have been the best in my mind. They are so straightforward, well organized, in-depth and a great resource for information (scores, stats, 2-deeps, etc.). They put info in their mags like the complete 2-deeps before anybody else ever did.

On football, I thought Tom Dienhart and crew did a nice job. Tom would usually have a great introductory notes column that always set the tone for the year on coaching changes, key games, rules changes, bowl climate, TV arrangements, etc.

Athlon and Lindy's have stepped up their game as well in recent years. Info in S&S only evolved into the 21st century in the last 3-4 years.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've stopped buying them. Some of the information always ends up out of date by the time they hit the stands and let's face it ... all that stuff is out there online someplace.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Seriously, is anyone still using those magazines as an actual resource? The copy is typically two months old by the time you're getting it on a newstand, and it shows. Badly dated depth charts and "insider" info that's rarely anything you couldn't find with two minutes of Googling.

It's sad because it's something that used to be relevant, but I can't imagine their sales warranted continuing the product. Can't remember buying one outside of maybe a college football in the last decade ...

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A post from 10 years from now about printed newspapers?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The product was much better than online sites for reading in a hammock on a really hot summer day. I will echo the old farts who previously posted. I always read Street and Smith's football issues, never TSN. When I started reading them, there was only one, and the pro football was stuck in the back of the book.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

In an olfactory sort of way, wouldn't it be better to be an old fart than a fresh fart?

Draft saved Draft deleted