1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of Point Break

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So Point Break comes on cable last night, and I'm sucked in. It's not a cinematic masterpiece, but it is a great movie in that it's entertaining and rewatchable. But the ending bothers me, and the more I see it the more it makes me scratch my head.
    Why does Johnny Utah just let Bodie go?
    Here's a guy whose actions led to the deaths of a half-dozen people, including Utah's partner and two cops in the bank. He not only arranged the kidnapping of Utah's girlfriend, but damn near signed her death warrant when he didn't call off Rosie in the plane. Utah spends the better part of a year traveling the world and relentlessly tracking this lunatic, and he himself is almost killed when they fight on the beach. Bodie ADMITS the worst punishment that could be handed to him is to be locked up in prison for the rest of his life, which is about to happen in a matter of minutes.
    I get that letting Bodie go out into the surf is akin to a death sentence. But after all that Bodie had done -- not just his crimes, but to Utah personally -- wouldn't it be more fitting to just keep the cuffs on and let him rot in prison?
    Can anyone offer more insight into this than I'm gleaning?

To paraphrase John McGinley's character from early in the movie... Yes, the surfing scene bothers me. Yes, the whole damn approach to this ending bothers me, and YES! This bothers me!

2. The only answer I could ever come up with is that Utah knew he was going to die if he surfed out there. But the ending always bothered me, too.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

One of my guilty pleasures in life is that film. The ending did suck, I think pressbox had it correct, he knew there was no way Bodhi would live.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I figured too. He even said as much as he's walking away. I think Bodhi (is that how it's spelled) knew it too.
    It just doesn't make sense that after all that time and effort he's spent tracking down a man who made his life hell, he just caves in in a split second and gives Bodhi what he wanted and allows him to go out on his own terms.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have an issue with the casting of Utah's love interest, Lori Petty?? Really??

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Eh, that wasn't bad. She's got the surfer girl look.

7. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

They just ended it that way to set up "Point Break 2"

But maybe since we haven't seen it yet, Bodie did bite it trying to surf the big one

8. I haven't seen that movie in probably a decade, but I've got two lines echoing in my head now.

One is the oft-quoted, "I am an F!B!I! AGENT!"

The other is the underrated "I bet you lied about your PARENTS!" from Petty.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I fell in love with Lori Petty in "A League of Their Own." She was still quite attractive in Free Willy and Point Break. Since then, I've rarely seen here look like anything but a punk-rock freak. Bummer. Natural beauty completely ruined.

And the ending was stupid. Bhodi should have rotted in jail.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

But Tony, you know he couldn't handle a cage...man.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

:D :D

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter ... He crossed the line. People trusted him and they died. He's gotta go down!

Draft saved Draft deleted