1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The End of Play by Play on Radio?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 25, 2021.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I read that organizations are abandoning radio play be play. For example Orlando fired their long time radio broadcasters and will just provide a television feed. In the past NBA and NHL teams would have simulcasts but thy were essentially radio broadcasts with pictures. An announcer like Kevin Calabro would follow the play. But it seems in Orlando the announcers pitch it to television and don't follow the ball.

I guess a couple hockey teams, including Carolina, have done the same thing. In fact, a couple hockey teams no longer have radio contracts but just stream on the web. The reasoning appears to be that ratings for NBA and NHL games on the radio are dismal and that advertisers would prefer spots on signboards in the arena, etc. than buying radio spots.

I am surprised because I would think that a team in one of the four major leagues could always find a station to broadcast a game. Maybe the radio play by play guys no longer need to travel. Evidently, in many arenas the radio booth has been moved to more remote locations in the interest of selling more premium seats so the play by play guy has to watch the monitors anyway. But is it that expensive to have someone sit somewhere and call the game?

Are ratings for baseball and football also declining. Will the same trend affect the radio broadcasts of those sports?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I watched that announcerless Jet game. The only thing I recall is hearing Bruce Harper yell "Fuck!" on a play out of bounds -- the first time I'd heard the word on live TV.

Today any game I watch is with the sound muted.

maumann likes this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I'm surprised. I thought live sports would be a better draw for people driving than the nighttime guy. More expensive, but in Boston the radio broadcasts, from the pregame to the postgame, for Celtics and Bruins are packed with sponsorships,

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another direction some teams are taking is online. The Oakland Athletics tried to do this, putting gsmes on the TuneIn app in the Bay area and keeping their network of stations in outlying cities, but it proved to be a disaster and they soon found a home on the Bay Area's Bloomberg station. The San Jose Sharks are broadcasting games on their own app (and web page), making what appears to be an amicable split with their 20-year home, KUFX-FM. The LA Kings went online as well after struggling to find a broadcast outlet in LA.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Another sign I'm old.
    I asked what radio station the L.A. Kings were on. The answer was I(heart)radio. I asked what number that was.

garrow, PaperClip529 and lakefront like this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I would imagine simulcasting radio and TV would be the intermediate step to cutting radio broadcasts entirely. In DFW the only team doing this is the Dallas Stars, but they've been simulcasting since the 1990s when the Stars moved from Minnesota.

But once we put COVID behind us, as long as networks can sell spots and pay the talent, I don't see terrestrial radio PXP going the way of the Studebaker quite yet. Maybe in 10 years or so, the marketplace could change.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Second-fiddle teams always have issues getting stations to take their rights. The A’s are one, the Islanders are another. They were shunted off to Hofstra’s student station a few years back.

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

How the hell am I suppose to do any gardening with out the Red Sox and/or Yankees on my radio?

garrow and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I agree, nothing better to have on while doing manual work.

lakefront likes this.
  11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm more likely to listen to a random game than watch a random game. Maybe it's a flashback to my youth, but if I'm struck in a car, I'll listen to Jets-Colts, but once I get home, where I have a ton of TV options, I'm done with it. Same thing on a walk, I'll listen the Cardinals-Reds on the MLB app but not follow the game once I get home.

garrow and wicked like this.
  12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Years ago growing up in Tulsa, KOTV, the local CBS affiliate, simulcast the audio of its broadcast on the radio. Not just the news, but pretty much everything. It was weird, but you could get your nightly local news while driving around town, and you could listen to the NFL game on Sundays -- which I often did driving home from church with the family. But those game broadcasts weren't the same. Even as a kid, I could tell they weren't meant for radio. Good radio play-by-play guys make you see with your ears. TV broadcasters assume you see what they're talking about.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted