1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Feb 14, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Here's a pretty interesting read:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7559458/cte-concussion-crisis-economic-look-end-football

Seems like lots and lots of things have to fall in just the right place for this scenario (or something similar to it) to unfold. Further, if something like this did happen, I think there'd be a massive move away from sports fanaticism in general, rather than simply a shift toward other sports.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wasn't this Gladwell's topic in the New Yorker a couple of years ago? I swear I have read a learned piece from a well-regarded outlet with this very theme before.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Why? Demand for sports content wouldn't go away. I think new and existing sports would fill the void and then some. Nothing is forever.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I can't wait until Handball gets its turn as the next big thing!

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ridiculous

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Armchair_QB telling like it is[cross-thread].

7. We're a long way from the end of football, but we're moving in that direction. And I think that the smart people in the NFL (there are some) realize that, even amid the current financial bonanza they're enjoying.

What we will probably see in our lifetime is football as a gladiator sport that has two well-defined castes -- one class of spectators/fans and another class of participants/warriors/combatants.

Wealthy, middle-class white America won't let their kids play football. They'll be directed to sports less likely to cause permanent brain injury. The underclass will see football as a ticket to a college education and riches and continue to play despite the risks.

The good news is there will continue to be sports writers, who will be able to craft narratives that cast the warriors in heroic terms, a genre for which there will always be a market.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think we'll eventually see it disappear from high schools.

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Anything but the X Games.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yep

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Eventually they'll just eliminate all sports because of the inherent risk of injury.
    People know the risks. No one puts a gun to their head and makes them play. If you play in the NFL, you have to accept the fact that you could possibly not have to worry about money for the rest of your life, which will probably end short and with you not remembering your name.
    Or you could find a regular job and not drive four BMWs.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wasn't an earlier version of this article written during the Theodore Roosevelt administration?

Draft saved Draft deleted