1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end of Down syndrome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Correct, you don't. It's about the quality of life of the child.

2. sportbook

sportbook Member

Well it sure as heck would become a child in most cases if not aborted.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's a different argument. You asked why people are outraged over child abuse but not abortion. I told you why.

4. sportbook

sportbook Member

Who ma
    What makes us judge of the quality of life of the child?

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

You said in your original post that people choose to abort babies with Down Syndrome because it is something that "might incovenience us in some way."

I am saying, no, people choose to abort in those situations because the quality of life of that child would be severely hindered. It is not an issue of being inconvenienced.

I am also absolutely sure you know nothing about Down Syndrome.

That's all I am saying.

6. sportbook

sportbook Member

So I know nothing about Down syndrome? I guess I will have to defer to my wife whose doctoral dissertation was about pedagogy methods for children with Down syndrome.

The fact is, for many people it is almost entirely about convenience and very little to do with the quality of life of the child. Most of my wife's students seem to enjoy their life just fine.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Your line "might inconvenience us in some way" seemed to minimize the severity of the disease. That made me question your post.

Although, this is all moot anyway, as it's obvious you are here to debate abortion. I am not.

And the quality of life of those children is also based on the resources and financial means of their parents. That's not convenience. That's the ability of a family to properly care for the child. Which ties directly to quality of life.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When most of us were born, this was a pretty risky test.

It's not anymore and I can't imagine how that's a bad thing in any way.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Your wife sounds smart. What was your doctoral dissertation on?

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Nope. Lots of times CVS tests are done with older women who have had multiple miscarriages.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This is eye-opening, especially since my mother was 42 when I was born.

When Mrs. Birdscribe (37 at the time) was pregnant with our second, we had the test done; I can remember, because I drove back all night from the '98 U.S. Open at Olympic, we both made the decision to terminate if we came back with a positive test.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm not emotionally capable of dealing with or raising a Down's child. I'm just not. Some people are; an ex-co worker at my second paper had a Down's son and I am in awe of him and anyone else who goes through with it. You are a better person than I am.

Fortunately, the test was negative.

I hope if this isn't the end of Down's Syndrome -- and I don't think for the reasons already listed -- it is, that it's a huge dent.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how I feel about them too.

I guess I just hope I would be strong enough if it came to that.

The hardest part I think is the worries they have for the kids if/when they out live them, and that's becoming more common.

Draft saved Draft deleted