1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end is Neyer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 31, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Michael Vick's an admitted lazy ass who wouldn't work to get better. So his athletic abilities have been in question.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do you ever get tired of making a fool of yourself?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

FYI. I played the game. Couldn't hit uncle charlie consistently to make it the next level but knew a few who did in baseball and in other sports.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are plenty of guys who "played the game," even at the highest level, who are far less knowledgeable than fans and sports writers and executives about the nuances of the game, particularly big picture-wise. Tim Lincecum, to pull a name directly out of my ass, knows how to fine-tune his own mechanics and follow a plan. But he probably couldn't put together a roster or manage a payroll. Or turn a double play or bat .300, since his focus is so narrow.

Zack Greinke and Brian Bannister are two pitchers I can recall actually talking about using sabermetrics to assist them. Bannister, for example, realized that the numbers indicated that his really good season was largely luck, and knew he needed to get better and not rely on a repeat by doing the same things.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So you never played pro but know people who did, sounds like, I would imagine 90 % of this board. Billy Beane played at a higher level than you, is he an athlete or an egghead?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dude, we've had this type of conversation before. What is your malfunction to pick an argument with every post that I make?
    Billy Beane is an athletically-inclined egghead. Does that answer your question?

7. Dick Whitman

Are we in junior high here? Seriously. "Egg heads"? We're in our 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s. And we're still worshipping the jocks and putting down the smart kids?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dick, I'm an egg head too so I'm not putting them down.
    I'm just tired of everything sports related being micro analyzed to death.

9. Dick Whitman

I never understand that mentality. How does it affect your enjoyment of the game?

Here's the thing: If the information people are acting on is wrong, then they should get it right. No matter how long the accepted wisdom has been around, wrong is wrong.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's okay, I'm tired of seeing poor reasoning and fallacious arguments rule the day. But I've learned to live with it. Mostly.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Don't forget the 80s.

You're welcome, spnited. :)

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're a nattering nincompoop, not an egg head.

Draft saved Draft deleted