1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end is Neyer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 31, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Rob Neyer's last ESPN.com article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/6904/bo-knows-amazing

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

He says it will be easy to find him again. Good thing. Neyer's been extremely important in sportswriting.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Extremely important to who?

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Baseball fans under the age of 60.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm with you on that one.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Whom.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

And sabermasturbators of all ages.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to interrupt the bashing...and I don't know the guy...but I hope Neyer is leaving on his own accord.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not bashing Neyer. I questioned one person's statement about him being "extremely important in sportwriting" and Mr. Pedophile took a shot as me.

10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

While Bill James is the father of sabermetrics and using them in writing/reporting/analysis, it is Rob who brought them mainstream with the ESPN platform. Yes, ESPN deserves much of the hell it gets, but it recognized Neyer as a new voice 15 years ago, and to see where the reporting using advanced statistical metrics has gone in that time is a huge credit to Neyer. Check Twitter and see how much the likes of Joe Sheehan and Co. are lauding him. And I don't think Neyer gets enough credit for his crisp writing on complex subjects.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When plenty of people were still treating the internet like Katie Couric and Bryant Gumbel [/crossthread], Rob Neyer was completely changing the way scores of fans thought about baseball on espn.com. More valuable as a baseball writer than a hundred Plaschkes.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://twitter.com/jonahkeri/statuses/32163083455565824

Draft saved Draft deleted