1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end is near: my 6-year-old niece owns a cell phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Sep 28, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We got our 12 year old daughter a cell phone recently. It cost an extra $10 a month on the plan, and the phone was free. She's at soccer practices and so forth on her own now... If we are running late to pick her up (not happened) or plans change, it makes sense.

A six year old is always under direct supervision of a parent (or so I'd like to think). Why on earth does she need a cell phone. Mommy and daddy will soon be buying a new one for her when she gets it wet, or it goes thru the laundry. Just wait.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, we went to dinner last week and she had a pretend one she kept playing with. Now it's real. I wonder if this one is purple.

My brother's theory is that the mom gave it to the daughter so he doesn't have to go through her to speak with his child every night. (They never married and the whole issue is ugly.)

I guess, though, if a 3-year-old can buy a car on eBay (http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=4898, possible d-b), a 6-year-old with a cell phone isn't totally insane.

At what age these days to kids cease to be kids? God, I miss the days of eating dirt for the fun of it.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I don't buy the whole "can only call two numbers" deal. Kids today are so technologically resourceful, I swear they find a way around that kind of crap. Just like I don't believe any V-chip in the world can keep an average 13-year-old from tuning into Spice if he so chooses. Just another silly little obstacle for them.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

That makes sense. I can see it being used for that purpose, or the whole soccer practice scenario, as long as it's one of those one-or-two-number phones. Should it go to school with her? Absolutely not.

I got my first cell phone at 21, but now I can't imagine life without it.

5. standman

standman Member

I hear you Poindexter.

We recently gave our 12 year old son one and he makes about two calls a day. One to tell me he's on his way to practice and the other to pick him up. The school charges $15 if the cell phone goes off during school or if the student is caught using it during class time. The biggest concern is text messages. He doesn't send them out, but companies know who's getting a phone and they'll send out junk text messages that cost you. We called the cell phone company and got the charges removed and a block.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good luck to your neice. She's gonna need it. It is so hard to be a child these days with a stable household, let alone one where a six year old has a mommy and daddy who refuse to talk to each other.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

(Slipping into old fuck mode ... and this isn't pointed at you, per se, Crass)

You know, somehow, someway, every generation before us, including mine, managed to survive childhood without a cell phone in case of emergencies. It strikes me as one of those things parents tell themselves to justify a purchase that their kid wants. Ain't gonna happen to me.

Of course, I only carry a work-paid for cell phone, which gets stares of incredulousness from people who think they can't live without them. I think everyone needs to get a grip on that shit, I love not having a personal cell phone.

(Old fuck mode over ... we know resume regular posting ...)

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The bad news for the girl: It was an ESPN Mobile phone.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

We certainly did fine without cell phones. Things are a little different now though:

My mom didn't work. I knew I could count on a ride or whatever from her if needed. My wife works. So my kids are on their own more (and more than I'd like). If there's something up, they can reach someone faster.

Kids also have more trouble getting rides. In my state, teens can't drive another teen until they've had their license a year. That means that where we usually knew someone a little older who could give us a ride, now that's out of play. Thus, kids need the phone to get a ride.

More after-school activities. My daughter's got band, and two or three clubs. My son has baseball and band. The phones help make sure we know where the kids are.

The thing is, once you're on a plan, an extra phone's not much more.

I used to be in old fart mode on this, but I had to change. See you young whippersnappers, I can boogie like you kids!

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe kids today need to chill the fuck out! Dammit! :D

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My first cell phone was as big as a six-year-old.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

A room at your place?

Draft saved Draft deleted