1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end for Mike & the Mad Dog?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jun 22, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I meant NOT ANYMORE, stupidface!

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought my subjunctive dig was good, but IJAG's careful research on this thread knocks that out of the park.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Good at what they do.

Not my cup of tea.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

IJAG, I'm at a half-century-plus, living here in flyover country, and never knew how good I had it. We are lucky humans, indeed.

5. digger

digger New Member

Are you kidding? have you ever been listening when they just repeat the same shit over and over?

Dog: Willie needed to go.

Mike: It was done very poorly, but the collapse last year doomed Willie.

Mike: I don't know why they let Willie go on the trip, but the collapse last year doomed him. It was only a matter of time.

Mike: But now we have all these fans who wanted Willie gone, calling up and saying he shouldn't have been fired.

Dog: That's a bad job by those fans, but Willie needed to go.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dog: OK Mike it's time for the over/unders for the week. You ready?

Mike: Yup.

Dog: OK Mikey, the Belmont Stakes. Aired from 5 to 7. Had nothing major going up against it. The Yankees game was over and NBC was airing some X-Games knockoff. Big Brown going for the Triple Crown. Big news, Mikey, it was big news. You know it got the casual viewer to the TV.

Mike: Sure did Dog.

Dog: OK mikey what's your guess?

Mike: OK it aired from 5 to 7, Triple Crown potential...

Dog: Yup Mikey.

Mike: ...so you know the average fan was going to tune in...

Dog: Got that right Mikey.

Mike: And nothing else really going up against it...

Dog: not a thing Mikey.

Mike: OK so I'm gonna guess, that with nothing really going up against it...

Dog: Yankee game was long over.

Mike: And so many people being into it...

Dog: People wanna see a Triple Crown winner Mikey!

Mike: I'm gonna guess it pulled a 13 nationwide and a 25 in New York.

Dog: you sure Mikey?

Mike: Sure am Dog.

Dog: It pulled a 17 nationwide and a 28 in New York.

Mike: I knew it would do that well. Exactly what I thought. There was nothing going up against it and people wanted to see a Triple Crown winner.

Dog: No doubt, Mikey!

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I like them; listen to them over anything else. Not sure why.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hope you're enjoying your agents' cut of their earnings, sir.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Without Imus, Russo is nowhere near where he is, today.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I have no horse in this race; don't hear them often enough to care one way or another. I think I'll believe they're splitting up when I see it. Every year or so we're treated to another round of stories about how "the end is near."

I do, however, love this New Yorker story written about the two of them, if only for the anecdote about the two of them watching The Horse Whisperer in their hotel room.

http://www.mikefrancesa.com/wordpress/?p=73

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And everything I learned about Fatso and Fruit Loops came from Don Imus every morning on MSNBC.

Russo, when he's not batshit crazy on air, is reportedly a decent guy. Met his wife on a plane, and loves his kids. Fatso has an ego bigger than a truck load of jelly donuts dropped off at the WFAN studios each afternoon for him.

Who's going to replace them? Mariotti and Telander/Ozzie/Hawk Harrelson?

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the minority, but when you have to decide whether you go with the FAN or Boston sports radio, well, 15 times out of 10 I'm going with the FAN. Boston sports talk - and I am a Boston fan in three out of the four major sports - is insufferable.

I'll take Mike and the Mad Dog any day, if only to hear Mad Dog butcher phrases ("preaching to the chorus" and his idea of how to say Nick Markakis' name come to mind).

Draft saved Draft deleted