1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The end for Mike & the Mad Dog?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jun 22, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The airwaves...on which you don't listen to him?

I don't understand.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I might listen to WFAN if he wasn't on it.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But at least Francesa probably uses the subjunctive when needed.

4. digger

digger New Member

Add bully to Francesa's description and I think you nailed it.

If they split up, they might as well get rid of both of them. Then I could actually listen to FAN between 1-6 every day. If one's still there, what's the use?

5. digger

digger New Member

Add moran to russo's description and you nailed him, too. But you're right, he'd probably be all right outside the show.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, those .220 banjo-hitting utility infielders, I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot. I like 'em a lot.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

I've always been struck by how venomous sports writers are toward Mike & Chris.

They're a brilliant team, terrific at what they do.

Are they nice and friendly? No.
    Are they arrogant? Sure.

But they know their stuff, the interplay between them is compelling, and they're a very strong listen.

Just terrific radio.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am having a tough time believing that. But if we can get chided for being negative on a talk-radio thread, anything is possible.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe the venom is return fire for the crap they--and Francesa, in particular--fire the way of sportswriters?

And terrific radio? Their agendas make a decent interview almost impossible. If they hold a guy's feet to the fire, it's because they've got it out for him. And how many times can you forget about hearing a hard-hitting piece b/c Mike wants to be the subject's friend? I always loved how Leon Hess was a doddering old fool until Parcells became the coach of the Jets. Then Hess was a kindly old man who just wanted to bring a Super Bowl to Jets fans.

And the rest of the time is spent either a.) berating callers who refuse to lick their sacs or b.) having their sacs licked by worshipful callers.

Russo by himself (on Saturdays, I think) is tolerable. Francesa on his own--on radio or on TV--is pull-your-eyes-and-ears-out awful.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I still contend that Imus had the best nickname for them when he was 'FAN. He would always call them "Fatso and Fruit Loops"

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

:D

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

And they were -- still are, in fact -- Imus syncophants.

Draft saved Draft deleted