1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Empty Baseball Pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Apr 7, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I haven't heard that, but that would shock me. They don't travel with the Kings hardly at all. Same with the Ducks.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I didn't say it would happen in your lifetime.

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mizzou, wrong again.

The Times travels with the Angels. Never a thought about not doing so. In fact, look above the RF scoreboard next time you catch the Angels on TV.

The Times does not travel with the NHL teams. No paper in the area travels with the Kings, and only the OC Register travels with the Ducks.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It might be that they're not traveling to all the road games.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would be thrilled to be wrong.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. I think that's a response to industry cutbacks.

I know the NHL reached a point, after the lockout, where it saw fewer and fewer papers in cities with teams committing the same kind of resources, whether it be road travel or league-wide events like the all-star game and Stanley Cup Finals. So its reaction was to do more media stuff itself, largely through the internet, but also on radio and TV. They couldn't control what newspapers might do or not do, but were wise enough not to just sit around and let the product die a slow death from lack of exposure.

So maybe that's the method more and more fans will use to get information in coming years. It wouldn't bother me to work for a league or team instead of a paper if that's where the trend is going.

7. tagline

tagline Member

The Beaver County Times never covered road games (with the exception of a game here or there). This year they aren't covering home games, I've heard.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And just what makes you believe this?

Seriously, whatever you've been smoking, pass it down the line. Don't bogart that hallucinogen.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If MLB.com's use of unpaid interns is any indication of the future, I wouldn't count on too many jobs with team sites anytime soon either.

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What a sweet freaking picture. I'd like to know who that guy is in the second row with the black-and-white spats.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

You better still have those shoes, then.

Draft saved Draft deleted