1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The emptiest city in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RossLT, Feb 18, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/feb/16/forbes-las-vegas-americas-emptiest-city/

Kind of scary, considering I am moving there soon. I was told by an apartment manager that they would let me get by on just the deposit and a months rent but if there are no jobs to be had...

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I thought for sure the answer would be East St. Louis.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My guess was Flint.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My bid was Youngstown.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Vegas and Phoenix are going to be frontliners in the economic collapse. Both cities built their boom around development and sprawl. They're fucked.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

I was going to say downtown Atlanta.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or it could be Valley, Alabama... everyone has been arrested in Montgomery [crossthreading]

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I heart Phoenix but even the past few times I've been there, parts of it have had a bit of a ghost town-esque quality.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what the story doesn't say is where all these folks are going.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Many, back to Mexico.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

For some of the cities they're not necessarily going anywhere. Cities like Vegas and Phoenix aren't shrinking population wise (at least not yet), they're just not growing at a rate sufficient to fill all the excess speculative condos and subdivisions that were overbuilt during the boom. The empty neighborhoods in those cities are full of brand spanking new homes that have never been lived in and nobody wants to buy.

Cities like Detroit on the other hand....

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Oh lord.

Draft saved Draft deleted