1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Element of Style

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by the_rookie, Aug 2, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

I recently found the style book at a vintage clothing and goods store yesterday. The book is reproduced from William's Strunk Jr.'s orginal Stylebook which he wrote back in 1919.
    E.B. White revived the book and I currently hold the Third Edition in my hand. It was published in 1972.

Could this possbile be the first style book ever written?

[​IMG]

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Helluva book.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's a must-read for anyone in the writing/copy editing portion of the business.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yoshi,

You must have received the rare, original edition when there was only one element of style.

Congrats.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Does it contain a chapter on horizontal stripes and wearing white after Labor Day?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is not just a book for journalists.

It should be mandatory reading for every high school and university student.

Anybody guilty of writing long-winded, verbose, rambling e-mails and memos at work should be forced to memorize it.

Great book .

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is wrong with horizontal stripes?

[​IMG]

8. joe

joe Active Member

It's the Bible.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Only because yours got lost like the Ark of the Covenant for four months. 8)

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yoshi asks whether this was the first style book.

I suspect it's highly unlikedly but is anyone familiar with earlier ones, from say the late 19th century?

I suspect there must be some English ones since that era was big on self-improvement.

Just curious.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think I have something.  This is published by University Press, Oxford

Hart's Rules for Compositors and Readers at the University Press, Oxford was first printed in 1893. This classic reference work for writers, editors, and publishers was in print through 39 editions for nearly one hundred years. New Hart's Rules is a brand-new text that brings the principles of the old text into the 21st century, providing answers to questions of editorial style for a new generation of professionals. Writers and editors of all kinds will find this handy guide an indispensable companion in their work.

Twenty chapters give information on all aspects of writing and of preparing copy for publication, whether in print or electronically. New Hart's Rules covers a broad range of topics including publishing terms, layout and headings, how to treat illustrations, hyphenation, punctuation, UK and US usage, bibliographies and notes, and indexing. The chapters have been compiled by a team of experts and consultants, and the book draws on the unrivalled expertise of Oxford's Reference Department. It is also endorsed by the Society for Editors and Proofreaders.

The text is designed and organized for maximum accessibility with clearly displayed examples throughout. Authoritative and comprehensive, New Hart's Rules is the essential desk guide for all writers and editors, and together with the New Oxford Spelling Dictionary and the New Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors forms the complete editorial reference set. 

Readership: Editors, proofreaders, publishers, typesetters, printers, newspaper and magazine editors, web editors, journalists, lawyers, academics, and anyone else who works with the written and printed word.

Contents
    1. The parts of a book
    2. Preparing copy
    3. Spelling and hyphenation
    4. Punctuation
    5. Capitalization
    6. Names
    7. Italic, roman, and other type treatments
    8. Work titles in text
    9. Quotations and direct speech
    10. Abbreviations and symbols
    11. Numbers and dates