1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The eighth-grader who committed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 1, 2011.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

An eighth-grade baseball player from our area has committed to an SEC school.

Yep. Eighth-grader. But he is coming off a run on the USA Baseball's 14-and-under team, so he can play.

But goodgodalmighty, he's 14 ... barely.

It just makes me sick to my stomach to think of the can of commitment worms we're gonna open up by printing this.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My reaction is more like, an SEC school wants to sign an eighth grader? I feel like they're going to take a PR hit on this.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Lane Kiffin wonders what the fuss is about.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This has happened a couple of times with football, where some 14-year-old QB commits to a team. It's not an official thing. They haven't signed a letter yet, and the school can withdraw it.

Still, it's pretty scary and ridiculous that colleges are recruiting eighth graders.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's the SEC. You sure it's not a senior with an eighth grade education?

6. HejiraHenry

Nice.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I could have sworn UK got an eighth-grade "commitment" a couple years back. Might have even been younger.

EDIT: Found it. He was in eighth-grade.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=910&CID=803673

And a follow-up story:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201102/high-school-juniors-college-future-uncertain-after-eighth-grade-commitment-ken

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

How meaningless is a middle schooler committing to a college baseball program? Even with a senior, signing with a college team doesn't mean much until he sees where he's drafted.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Damon Bailey was also recruited by Indiana as an eighth-grader.

10. HejiraHenry

And promptly became a punchline.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Do the kid a favor and make it, at best, a note or part of a notes column, and not a story with its own headline.

12. HejiraHenry

Buried it with the "in brief" items at bottom of scoreboard rail this morning ... our smallest readership paper this time of year.

Draft saved Draft deleted