1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Education of Alex Rodriguez

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Feb 19, 2015.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Very, very good point. I never understood the hosannas to Earl Woods (aside from obviously wanting access to Tiger). Other than the success of their respective sons, what was the difference between Earl Woods and Marv Marinovich?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Earl got a chance to try stuff out with a practice family first, then cut bait and hooked up with Kutilda, pretending that first family never existed, except when it was time to draw on training methods that did not work.

3. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

BASW lock, for sure. I actually read the piece because I wanted to read this thread but I didn't want to come across any spoilers (too late, waited for the Katy Perry scene and was not disappointed).

The bigger takeaway when you look at the grand scheme of things is how much Moehringer does with access. But, I know I'm stating the obvious. I mean, it's Moehringer. But it's what makes his terrific profile of Pete Carroll works so well and why it still holds up after eight years. Also, he leaves behind subtle craftsmanship marks -- the color of Dr. David's coach, for example, and the repetition of the phrase, "not there yet in his education." A GA in college said she felt sets of three always seemed like the sweet spot when it comes to listing items. Moehringer used repeated that particular phrase three times. It may have been by accident, but it worked really well.

4. ringer

ringer Active Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That was really interesting. I've been fascinated with the concept of "access" since reading this piece and how J.R. got it. For some reason, I figured he pitched it to ARod's people, who then pitched it to him, saying that J.R. was a Pulitzer winner and had done the Agassi bio. Knowing how simple it actually started - seeking a quote for a story on Derek Jeter - makes it all the more impressive.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The best thing I can say about this story is, if this is the inheritor to "Frank Sinatra has a Cold," then so be it. It is notable that there has been little or no interest in it on the usual fan mainstream outlets. If Rodriguez and his handlers, and Moehringer set out to make him into Regular Guy, they succeeded. Which was the plan all along.

Draft saved Draft deleted