1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ed Whitson Rule.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Sep 5, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I stand corrected, Smasher. And you are right, he was a big influence on a division-winning team in 1996 in Baltimore.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Hampton is the only legit one here. Alomar did OK in Arizona (?) after he left Shea, but by the time Mo was on the Mets, he was training to join the U.S. Sumo Association.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I disagree. With Kile's stuff, he was supposed to beat the altitude odds. He didn't. Add in a fat contract and he immediately became a lightning rod for the fans there. I think he fits the definition just right.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Jeff Kent did not start his career in New York.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ed Whitson was a guy who couldn't handle New York. That is what I was thinking of, guys who went were a complete bust for no good reason than an inability to handle their new situation.

Kile had another reason. Coors Field screwed him up just like it did everybody else in the pre-humidor days.

Draft saved Draft deleted