1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ed Whitson Rule.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Sep 5, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess I was thinking about the wrong Coors Field All-Star

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

isn't that kind of an oxymoran? ;)

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Bo hit sort of an important home run in the bottom of the seventh inning of Game 7 of the '97 Series against Jaret Wright and then began the Marlins' game-winning rally with a one-out single in the bottom of the 11th, too. Bobby Bo was one of the top two or three switch hitters of the last 20 years.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Not as much as I do.

Robbie Alomar and Mo Vaughn come to mind. Mike Hampton, too.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Two words guaranteed to make a Tigers fan spit up his beer: Nate Colbert.

Was supposed to be a power threat in 1975. On June 15, 1975, he was traded to the Expos, who probably thought he was French.

He hit .147 with four homers in 45 excruciating games. Had more than twice as many strikeouts (52) than hits (23) in 156 at-bats.

In a fantasy league I used to be in, the owner who made the worst draft pick won the Nate Colbert Award.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Your original example is JD Drew who is still on the Red Sox.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Juan Gonzalez in Detroit or Cleveland

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dennis Eckersley is a good call. The Cubs tried to move the drunk fucker to the bullpen where he belonged and he refused so they shipped his ass to Oakland where he got sober and agreed to become a reliever. Fucker.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seriously, some of these posts are missing the point.

And a pitcher going to pre-humidor Coors Field and sucking is more a matter of nature taking over than what happened to Ed Whitson. Nobody was pitching well there.

10. outofplace

Which doesn't say much for the quality of switch hitters over the last 20 years. Bonilla was a decent player, nothing more. He just got a big boost from batting between Andy Van Slyke and Barry Bonds for a couple of years before being exposed with the Mets.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I disagree. The thin air of Colorado is death for a curveball pitcher beacuse the laces of the ball need to catch the heavier air of a lower altitude.

Check out his stats for 1998

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=kileda01&year=1998

Notice how effective he was on the road.

12. outofplace

93Devil, that was my point. It was the effects of Coors Field, not some mental breakdown, that ruined Kyle during his time in Colorado.

Draft saved Draft deleted